Hello. Today, I am going to share with you, how I made an airliner (Boeing 737-800) out of CARDBOARD.
This is my first instructable, so please forgive me if i post something incorrectly.
You can Download the BUILD process PHOTOS (full Album):
1. http://file-upload.com/d/G5rF (206.2 mb)
OR, Download in 4 smaller files.
1. Photo part 1 (47.6 MB)
2. Photo part 2 (45.6 MB)
3. Photo part 3 (61.7 MB)
4. Photo part 4 (51.3 MB)
Step 1: SKETCHING THE OUTLINE
First thing I did was download a 3 view drawing of Boeing 737-800 from google and sketched the outline on papers. And later joined them together to make a big picture of the plane. You can also print it directly on a printer if you don't want to draw. It will also be more accurate than mine.
After sketching the outline, i glued the drawing on cardboard and cut it out into shape. You can see the pictures above.
Step 2: BulkHead
I made the bulkhead for the top half and cut out the side profile of the nose and tail sections.
Step 3: Elevators, Rudder and Wings.
I traced the wings, elevators and rudders and cut it out on cardboard like the fuselage. Notice the rudder, elevators, wings, they all have different airfoils shape, to give it more realistic look. I also put some wood inside them so that I can glue and fix them on the fuselage. The wing spars are also made from cardboard,
Step 4: The ENGINES
First I put motors on the engines, thought I'd put batteries later but It did not work well. So, I remove the wire and ignored the motors altogether.
Step 5: Covering the Fuselage and Mounting the Tail Sections
I covered the fuselage with cardboard in 3 pieces. I left the nose for later. I also made room for the wing mount. And then I went on to mount the elevators, rudders wing mount etc.
Step 6: Landing Gears and Engine Mounts
I made the landing gears out of wood and covered them with cardboard later.
Step 7: Finishing the WINGS
I decided to add details as much as possible on this plane. The flaps, spoilers, pylons, winglets. It was looking quite good.
Step 8: Final
The most difficult part in this project is covering the front section or nose. Cardboards are difficult to bend. I had to make it into small parts and I was left with messy glues. But overall the build went great. I will post more projects in the future.