I have been saving empty A-1 bottles because I loved the shape, they are glass, brown, and I knew I would think of a way to make them into something practical and pretty. I finally thought of something and that is what inspired this Instructable. Gardeners need ways to store their herbs and this is a good method to use. Over the years I have learned that some food items need to be stored in a dark bottle and many are stored in brown bottles. I am always giving friends and neighbors a little sample from our bounty. These bottles are a great way to re-use brown glass bottles and provide a very pretty presentation for the fresh homegrown herbs we enjoy so much. Follow me and I will take you through the pages so you can make these for yourself and your loved ones.
Step 1: Supplies
- A-1 Empty bottle
- Burlap sack strip or fabric
- Button assortment several
- Jute tie for the bottle neck
- Tape optional just for securing burlap while it is tied
- Marker or tub paint for lettering
- 1 Small scrap for card label
- Cleaning rag
- Small clothes pin, optional it helps secure the burlap
Step 2: Tools
- Pinking scissors optional
- Hole punch optional
- Glue, paint, and marker was listed on previous page.
Step 3: Preparations
- Wash the bottle
- Remove the label.
- Dry the bottle.
- If there is any left over glue residue use alcohol and a cleaning rag to remove it.
Step 4: Burlap
- Trim a small strip of burlap a few inches longer than the bottle. This gets turned under and glued.
- The strip should be a few inches wider than the bottle to allow for a hem so it has a nice finished edge.
- Glue the edges carefully to hide the raw edge.
Step 5: Embellishments
- Lay out an assortment of the embellishments you may be using.
Step 6: Jute Tie
- Attach the burlap to the bottle neck.
- Tape the burlap according to the pictures.
- This will hold it until you tie the jute.
- Make a slip knot in the jute.
- Slip the tie over the bottle neck and tie it tight.
- Form a bow.
Step 7: Herb Label
- Cut out a small card from the brown paper.
- You may pink the edges to make it pretty.
- Write on the label Herbs using the marker or tube paint.
- You can punch a hole in the top to tie a ribbon through or just use the clothes pin to attach it to the burlap.
Step 8: Burlap Label
- You may wish to write herbs on the burlap using the marker or tube paint.
Step 9: Gluing Embellishments
- Glue a button on the top of the lid of the bottle.
- Glue a couple of buttons to the jute tie.
- Glue a few buttons down the front of the burlap label if you did not write herbs on the label.
Step 10: Sunshiine's Final Thoughts
I think this type of gift presentation out shines bought gift wrap. I decorated this bottle for a friend of mine who enjoys gardening. She will appreciate the dill that I will add by using a funnel. I will be making more of these. I have another idea that I am working on for another friend who loves coffee. I am very excited to have this Instructable finished so I can work on this one. I hope you have enjoyed this Instructable and hope you will visit again soon! May your New Year bring you pleasant and unexpected surprises!