I made this bottle opener from an old table saw blade that had worn out and was sitting on my shelf gathering dust. The wooden handle is made from leftover Mesquite wood flooring that someone gave me. And the pins are just nails. I made this to get more practice working with steel and wood.
Here is a video link of me making this bottle opener.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
I started by tracing the shape of a bottle opener on to the saw blade. I wasn't sure what the handle would look like so I just free handed a shape that I thought would work. Once I was happy I refined the shape with a blue marker so I would know where to cut the steel.
I used my angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut out the rough shape of the bottle opener.
I did some clean up and shaping on my 1x30 belt sander and used a cove file on the curved parts.
I tested the opener to see if it would work, at first it didn't so I had to modify the mouth of the opener. I used my angle grinder with the cutoff wheel and a round file to get the shape of the bottle opener just right. After these adjustments it worked perfectly. I also did any final sanding and polishing of the metal at this point. I used various grits of sandpaper starting with 150 grit and finishing with 600 grit.
I marked and then center punched the location for the pin holes. Then using my drill press I drilled the two holes.
Next using my drill press again I predrilled the holes through the wood handles. I used tape to keep everything aligned while drilling the holes.
I then traced the handle shape on to the wood and used my scroll saw to cut out the shape. This wasn't a perfect cut I left some room for error. It was mostly to get rid of excess material.
I used my angle grinder again this time with a flap disc to clean up the curve of the wood handles. I used my round file and sandpaper to further define the curve.
I used my 1x30 belt sander to do some of the shaping on the wood handles before gluing them on. Once they were glued this spot would be more difficult to shape.
I mixed some epoxy and assembled the pieces and used clamps to hold it together. I let this dry over night.
Once the epoxy was dry I cut off the excess pin material with the angle grinder cutoff wheel.
Time to shape the handle. I used my 1x30 belt sander to get the basic shape of the handle then I used a worn out sanding belt to refine the shape. Then I used various grits of sandpaper to smooth out the finish. I started with 150 grit and sanded up to 320 grit.
I applied 5 coats of a dark walnut Danish tung oil finish to the wood.
This is my attempt at trying to take some 'cool' pictures of the bottle opener. I hope you enjoyed the instructable.
Participated in the
Trash to Treasure Challenge