Intro: Boulder Tower for Kids
A quite easy an fast project, that brought a lot of fun to my kids.
- 3 old door panels
- 2 tension belts
- 2 furniture castors
- some wood (waste)
Step 1: A Single Boulder Wall
1 ) It started with a bloulder wall (an old door) for my little princess. I took the waste from edging some boards, because the had the angled side from the tree radius, that made them good for gripping.
2) i sanded them to prevent injuries
3 + 4) i mounted them on the door panel
5) i tried it by my self to, to check the stability, then my kid(s) began to climb
Step 2: Make It Bigger
After a few days of fun, it began to became to easy ....
So i made 2 new concepts for more doors. First with the doors side by side. The second one with the doors in a triangle arrangement.
Step 3: The Tower Concept Wins
I tried the tower and it was really stable, so is went on that way.
Step 4: Build the Tower
At first i cut some holes in the tower, for more adventure feeling :D
then i mount some more wooden handels. I mount them on both sides of the door panel, so the kids could climb in the inside and on the outside.
I fixed the triangle really tough with the tension belts, and mounted some furniture castors at one door, so i could move the tower by tilting to the side with the rolls.
Step 5: Climb and Play
Now it was ready for playing.
It was a big fun for the small kids. They could climb different ways and made some contests.
It works for two sommers, then i moved to an new house an build a new wall in their room.
It brought my older one, to a quit good climbing level, far better than her fat daddy ;-)
- Check the stability every day, if the belts loosen just a little bit, the tower tilts easier.
- Stay with your kids. Help them, cheer them on, give them hints ... prevent them from generating fears when they feel alone.
- Bigger Kids are tilting the tower easily, it's for kids up to 6 years.