The addition of bourbon in this pie gives it a nice kick! Although the alcohol does cook off while the pie bakes you can omit this ingredient for a classic pecan pie.
Serve with vanilla bean ice cream or whipped cream.
Step 1: Prepare Your Crust
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 to 4 Tbsp ice water
1.Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Combine flour, salt, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or fork to “crumble” the butter pieces into the flour. The mixture should resemble coarse meal, with pea sized chunks of butter.
2. Mix a few tablespoons of the ice water into the flour mixture at a time until it starts to clump together. You should be able to pinch the mixture together so it holds.
3. Place on a clean work surface and knead the dough just enough to form a disk.
4. Sprinkle the dough with flour, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Remove the dough from fridge 5-10 minutes before rolling out. Roll out to fit your pie plate leaving a one inch over hang. Crimp edges of the crust.
6. Pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork a few times. Place a piece of parchment paper on the dough. Place pie weights on top of the parchment.
7. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Or until light and golden.
8. Remove from oven and let cool.
Step 2: Prepare Your Filling
2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup golden corn syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp molasses
4 Tbsp butter, melted
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup bourbon
1. In a medium sauce pan, mix the corn syrup and brown sugar. Heat on medium low heat while whisking constantly until the sugar dissolves. Do not let this mixture boil.
2. Remove from heat and add butter, molasses, vanilla and bourbon. Let cool.
3. When the mixture is at room temperature add the eggs and whisk thoroughly.
Step 3: Assemble and Bake the Pie
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Evenly spread the chopped pecans on the bottom of the prebaked pie crust.
3. Slowly pour the sugar/corn syrup mixture over the pecans. Decorate the top of the pie with whole pecans if you so choose.
4. Bake the pie for 60 - 75 minutes. Or until the center is set. It should still be a little wiggly in the centre. You may wish to cover the crust edges half way through baking to prevent burning the crust.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool overnight. The pie filling may "deflate" after cooling. This is normal as the filling settles.
To serve warm preheat the over to 325 degrees F. Heat for approximately 8 minutes.