"Oh, put me in, Coach - I'm ready to play today"!
This cake is a takeoff of the traditional baseball mitt and ball! SO easy and so fun!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Assemble Your Ingredients
• 1 ½ cups vanilla bean ice cream
• 1 – 18.25 oz pkg yellow cake mix
• 1- 1 oz pkg instant pudding and pie filling
• 3 large eggs
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 1/3 cups water
• Red candy icing in a tube
Step 2: Assemble Your Tools
Your tools will include a mixer, a small round bowl, your baseball mitt pan and plastic wrap.
Step 3: Make the Baseballs
1. Line a 1 cup round bowl ( for a baseball) or 1 ½ cup bowl (for a softball) with plastic wrap.
2. Fill the bowl with softened ice cream. Cover and freeze until needed.
>>>>>You may decide to make several as most children can eat 1/2 a baseball if they love ice cream! Just freeze for 20 minutes until the round shape is intact and reuse bowl !
Step 4: Make Cake
3. Preheat oven to 325 ºF. Grease and flour large baseball mitt pan.
4. Combine cake mix, pudding, water, eggs and oil in large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Bake 28-34 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely.
Step 5: Shape Cake
6.Remove cake from pan and place on a piece of foil and drop into a slightly smaller basket to squeeze together.This gives the appearance of a molded glove which is so important! Remember little boys mold their gloves by wrapping a baseball in their glove, tying it closed with rope and putting it under their mattress to form a great catching pocket!
7. Make red stitching marks on ball. ( do other balls and place in bowl) using the red frosting tube.
8. Place on platter to serve!
Step 6: Let's Eat!
9. Slice and serve with ice cream baseball!
Step 7: End Notes
I found this pan and bought it for my husband . We are big baseball fans and spring brings us opening day and a new season. This year we have a new coach and many new players – but die hard fans still. He also still plays ball at age 61. Slow pitch softball and this will require a softball or larger ball (1 ½ cups)! This cake is wonderful – soft and melt in your mouth goodness with a slight pudding flavor! The men will love it for their yearly party. I also make one for opening day when we celebrate with hot dogs, and peanuts !
Little boys may prefer a gold cake made with butterscotch or chocolate pudding which will give a similar color for the mitt! Enjoy!! Men may prefer a rich spice cake and cheesecake pudding. The pan is easily found - I got mine used. It yields a large box mix cake which is perfect. What I also love is that the cake stands alone without dealing with frosting it. ENJOY!
Participated in the