Intro: Braided Headband From Recycled T-shirt
Headbands have been a big thing lately and I wanted to make some of my own. So with a an old t-shirt and some ideas I decided to try my hand at making some headbands of my own.
Step 1: Supplies
You will need the following:
A T-shirt - Something you no longer use and are willing to cut up
Scissors - to cut the fabric
A sewing machine
Step 2: Cut Your Fabric
1. Take your t-shirt and cut out 5 strips of fabric about 2" wide and about 30" long.
NOTE: You will want your final product to be about 22" long so you will want to start with something longer than want your finished product to be.You can always cut it shorter at the end.
Step 3: Sew the Strands Together
1. Take your strands and sew them all together at about 1" in at the fabric.
Step 4: Braid
With 5 strands its not your standard braid so it might take a little time to get it right.
1. Imagine the strands are labeled 1 - 5 from left to right
2. Take strand 1 over strand 2
3. Take strand 3 over strand 1.
4. Move strand 1 over by strand 4 and 5
5. Take strand 5 over strand 4
6. Take strand 1 over strand 5
7. Move strand 5 over by strand 2 and 3
Repeat the pattern you just completed with the remaining strands until you get to your desired length
Step 5: Sew Ends
1. When you have reached your desired length of headband sew the other end to keep the braid from unraveling
2. Now take the two sewn ends and sew them together and trim any excess fabric
Step 6: Add Cover
1. Cut an 2" by 8" strip of the same fabric.
2. Use the fabric to cover the seams in the back of the headband
3. hand sew the fabric strip closed -this makes the headband look cleaner overall.
Step 7: Wear!
I find headbands an easy way to put up my hair and I am excited to have the chance to try this headband out!
Enjoy your new headband!