All good halloween meals need to cater to the zombie, but their preferred dining habits can be a little gruesome.
Have the next best thing with a chocolate covered cheesecake brain!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Brain Building Weapons
Any human sized brain can use tools, so gather yours.
- Brain shaped mould Found on the interwebs
- A saucepan for holding boiling water
- A double boiler insert. (If you don't own one, you can get by using a stainless steel mould with a rim larger than your saucepan)
- Spatula for spatuling
- White chocolate
- Red dye (use a gel and not a water based one like I did)
- Oil to lube the mould. Go for something very neutral (I used coconut but vegetable or canola would also be good)
Step 2: I'm Melting!
Half fill saucepan with water and put on stove
Put boiler on top and add white chocolate
Stir until melted
Once melted, add a tiny bit of red food dye
Step 3: Insane, Insane in the Membrane
Ok, not really insane.
- Wipe your mould with a TINY bit of oil
- If you like, take a tiny bit extra of the chocolate, add more food dye and then splatter it
- Add a little bit of chocolate into the bottom of the mould and start turning it around to coat.
- Repeat until the mould is covered thickly (you can put it in the freezer for a few minutes in between coats to firm it up)
Step 4: Time to Fill Your Brains
Now to make a no bake cheese cake to fill the brain.
I used this recipe with lemon instead of orange, but you can use whatever recipe you like.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons powdered gelatine
- 250g packet light cream cheese, softened
- 250g reduced-fat fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup light thickened cream
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Place juice in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle over gelatine.
- Stir with a fork until gelatine has dissolved.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, ricotta, cream and sugar until smooth.
- Gradually add gelatine mixture to cream cheese mixture, beating until well combined.
Step 5: Assembly Time!
A good tasty brain includes a few clots. Add them to yours with some frozen (or fresh) raspberries.
Layer cheese cake with raspberries until the mould is full.
Cover with glad wrap and refrigerate
When ready to serve, turn upside down onto a plate and serve*
*This step will be pictured after Friday 31 october - my brain is waiting for a work morning tea
Participated in the
Halloween Food Contest