This instructable will guide you in cooking a typical bean stew from Brazil. This recipe is a simplified form of 'Feijoada', a bean stew complete with various cuts of pork and many other ingredients. It is the most traditional dish from Brazil and often prepared in large amounts to feed a large family get together. It is served over rice and often accompanied with collard greens, cooked carrots, 'farofa' (a toasted manioc or corn flour mixture) and salad. Sausage will be used in this recipe, you may opt out of meat if you so desire, however it is the pork that brings a lot of flavor to the stew. Some cooking experience is advised but it is pretty easy to prepare. Soak your beans overnight or for several hours before cooking. Serve over rice. Serves 5-6 . Prep and Cooking time : 1-2 hours. Lets get started!
Step 1: Necessary Ingredients and Supplies
Black Beans - 7 cups
Sausage - 1 Kielbasa or equivalent
Onion - 2 onions
Garlic - 3-4 cloves
Parsley - 1 Handful or as much as you desire
Large Pot for beans
Large frying pan
Stirrer & Ladle
Step 2: Getting Started!
1. Soak 7 cups of black beans overnight or for at least 4 hours before cooking. This will soften the beans allowing them to cook faster.
2. Rinse the beans and fill the pot with fresh water until there is 2 inches of water above the beans.
More water should be added throughout the cooking process if the beans have absorbed the water.
3. Bring the beans to a boil
Note: White foam may rise up to the top of the pan. If this occurs just scoop it out and continue.
Step 3: Boil Until Soft!
1. Boil your beans for 45 minutes to an hour stirring occasionally until your beans are soft. Keep the pot covered.
2. Meanwhile, take out a large frying pan.
3. Chop 2 onions and begin to fry with olive oil or another cooking oil.
4. Chop up your sausage into thin discs and add them to the onions.
5. Press 3-4 garlic cloves into pan
6. Add some salt and pepper
7. Put 3 ladles of already soft beans into a food processor and blend.
Will it Blend? Yes!
Step 4: Finish Up Strong!
1. Pour blended beans into the frying pan with the sausage and onions.
2. Cook for about 10 minutes.
3. Pour all of this in with the rest of the beans in the large pan
4. Bring to a light boil
5. Add chopped parsley and let cook for 15 minutes
6. Salt to taste
(Add water if it dries out)
(Notice I'm making white Rice as well! ;)
Step 5: Eat and Enjoy With Friends & Family
Serve with Rice and a vegetable side or salad.
Put on some of your favorite hot sauce if your into that
Fresh orange slices or orange juice goes well with the meal because this helps absorb iron and other nutrients from the beans!
Source: My Brazilian Mother with love