Uttapam is a thick, easy to prepare dosa-like breakfast dish popular in South India made by cooking ingredients in a batter. Unlike a dosa, it is a thick pancake, with toppings cooked right into the batter.
- 6 bread slices (wheat or white bread)
- 3 tablespoon of white semolina
- 3 tablespoon of maize semolina
- 6 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- Half a cup of yoghurt
- Few chopped capsicum
- 1/4 cup of mushy tomatoes
- One teaspoon of cumin seeds
- One teaspoon of ginger garlic paste
- One teaspoon of red chili powder
- Salt as per taste
- A few curry leaves
- Cooking oil
Step 1: Making the Batter
Take 6 bread slices and crumble them using your fingers
- Fill the crumbled bread into a blender
Step 2: Add the Remaining Ingredients to the Blender
- After placing the crumbled bread into a blender, add 3 tablespoons of white semolina, 3 tablespoons of maize semolina and 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
Step 3: Add Yoghurt and Water
- Add half a cup of yoghurt and 2 cups of water to the other ingredients in the blender
Step 4: Blend to a Smooth and Thick Paste
- After adding all ingredients blend to a smooth and thick paste. The batter should be thick and not too runny. You can add a little water if needed and adjust the consistency.
Step 5: Chop Capsicum and Tomatoes
- Chop the capsicum and take about a 1/4 cup of mushy tomatoes.
Step 6: Add Cumin Seeds, Chopped Capsicum and Tomatoes to the Batter
- Add a teaspoon of cumin seeds, teaspoon ginger garlic paste, chopped capsiucm and mushy tomatoes to the batter and stir.
Step 7: Add the Red Chili Powder and Salt
- Next add a teaspoon of red chili powder, as much salt as you like and few dry or fresh curry leave.
Step 8: Mix Everything
- Now you will have to mix everything.
Step 9: Making the Dosa
- Heat the pan and pour a little batter in centre of the pan.
- Spread it using a ladle. Spreading consistency should be like thick pan cake
- Add few drops of oil around the pan cake and cook it for about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side as well.
Step 10: Serve
- Serve the uttapam hot with any chutney of your choice.