Ever since I used a warm air intake in my wife's car, the valve cover I let breathe via an independent air filter. In my quest for improved fuel economy, which is dismal thus far, I want the valve cover breathing via the engine air filter as per the original Hyundai design.
Here is how I modified the cone filter to accept a breather line. The tools are;
-cone air filter.
-clear pvc tubing 1/4inch OD.
The first step is to remove the air filter.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: FITTING IN THE BREATHER LINE.
Drilling a pilot hole followed by the final bit size, I made an entry at the base of the cone filter. I made sure to shake out all the metallic pieces from inside the cone.
I wanted the tube very snug into the hole to have an airtight seal.
Step 2: ADDING TO THE ENGINE.
I fitted the modified filter onto the manifold. I also removed the air filter for the valve cover. I used a length of silicone tubing to join the pvc tubing to the valve cover.
Step 3: COMPLETION!
I started the engine and it ran well! The idle rpm was a little higher from this modification plus the engine idled smoother and I'm very happy about that. Hopefully the fuel economy can improve a bit in time.
After less than a month of implementation, the fuel economy of the engine has almost doubled! Also the engine idles far smoother and vehicle acceleration is better. We are extremely pleased here.