Introduction: Brinjal Yoghurt Based Gravy (Dahi Baingan)
Brinajal yoghurt based gravy (Dahi baingan) is a famous north Indian dish, served especially during festivals.
The combination of brinjal with yoghurt and spices gives it a unique taste. It goes well as side dish with any main course.
Step 1: Ingredients
The thing you need are:
- One large brinjal (eggplant)
- One chopped onion
- Two chopped tomatoes
- One teaspoon of cumin and mustard seeds
- Two table spoon sesame seeds
- Two dry red chilies
- Cloves, cardamom, one inch cinnamon stick and bay leaf
- Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- A teaspoon of coriander powder
- A teaspoon of garam masala powder
- One cup of yoghurt
- Salt as per taste
Before starting we need to prepare few things:
- First you will have to fry the brinjals to a light brown color
- Second is to make sesame powder
- Third is to make a yoghurt spice mixture
These all steps are described in this instructable.
Step 2: First Step Is to Fry the Chopped Brinjals
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the chopped brinjals until they turn a little brown.
Step 3: Make the Sesame Powder
- Roast two tablespoon sesame seeds and two dry red chilies in a skillet. Blend them to a fine powder.
Step 4: Make the Yoghurt Spice Mixture
- Take one cup of yoghurt and add half teaspoon turmeric powder, a teaspoon red chili powder, a teaspoon of coriander powder and a teaspoon of garam masala powder and mix all the spices with the yoghurt.
Step 5: Procedure for Making the Curry
- Take a vessel and add a little oil. When the oil is heated, add a teaspoon of cumin, mustard seeds, cinnamon, cloves and bayleaf and sauté for a few minutes.
Step 6: Add Chopped Onions and Tomatoes
- Add the finely chopped onions, a teaspoon of ginger garlic paste and chopped tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes becomes soft.
Step 7: Add the Blended Sesame Seed Powder and Spiced Yoghurt and Mix
- Add the previously blended sesame seed powder and spiced yoghurt and mix everything.
Step 8: Add Salt and Fryed Brinjals
- Finally add salt, the fried brinjals and mix everything. Cover and cook for few minutes
Step 9: Serve
- Garnish with spring onions and serve the Brinjal yoghurt gravy with chapathi, which is an unleavened flatbread from the Indian Subcontinent.
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017