Introduction: Brown Sugar Cardamom Cookies
A delicious spiced cookie that goes well with a cup of tea. These are best served fresh from the oven so I only bake a few at a time and store the dough in the fridge. This recipe makes 24 cookies.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground green cardamom (6-7 pods*)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated/finely minced ginger
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
*If using whole pods of cardamom, grind them with a spice grinder or motar & pestel without the green outer shell. (I used the Magic Bullet)
Dry measuring cups
Large mixing bowl
Medium mixing bowl
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixture on medium for about 3-5 minutes until well incorporated. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary.
3. Add egg, vanilla and ginger to butter mixture and beat again until it's light and fluffy.
4. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in thirds, beat with electric mixture until dough incorporates. Finish mixing the dough with a rubber spatula.
5. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
8. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls, keep about 2 inches apart. If you don't bake the cookies all at once, you can store the dough in an air tight container for 3 - 5 days.
9. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until the cookies are a light golden brown. Bake for an additional 1 - 2 mins if you refrigerate the dough over night.
10. Cool on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack. Store cookies in an air tight container. Bon appetite!