One word for you: YUM!
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 tsp of espresso powder
- 2 oz of semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup of canola, grapeseed, or coconut oil
- 2 eggs - 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups of white, granulated sugar
- 1-3/4 cups of All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped (optional)
For graham cracker crust:
- 3 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 12 tbsp of unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup of white, granulated sugar
Yield: makes two 9-10" pies
Step 2: Prepare & Bake Crust
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease two 9-10 inch pie dishes.
2. In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and white sugar. Pour half of mixture into one pie dish and the other half in the second dish. Spread crust to side of dish with a spoon, and pat down. Bake crust for 10 minutes, just until the crust stiffens.
Step 3: Prepare Chocolate
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the boiling water, cocoa powder, and espresso powder. Add chopped semisweet chocolate, and whisk. Add butter and oil, and whisk. Cool mixture to room temperature so when you add the eggs, you will not curdle them.
Step 4: Add Eggs
4. Add eggs and egg yolks to chocolate mixture, and whisk.
Step 5: Dry Ingredients
5. Whisk in vanilla extract and sugar as well.
6. Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir with a wooden spoon. Also fold in chopped walnuts (optional).
Step 6: Bake
7. Pour batter into both pie dishes over the graham cracker crusts. Bake pies for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 7: Enjoy!
8. Enjoy with homemade whipped cream or ice cream, and sprinkle extra graham cracker crumbs and cocoa powder over the top. Enjoy warm!