A traditional French Christmas treat made with cake and a creamy filling. It's like a giant HoHo but tastes like a chocolate eclair.
Note: Very time consuming.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Materials
For the Cake:
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 egg, seperated (whites and yolks)
1 1/2 cups sugar, sifted
6 tbs cold water
powdered sugar (for dusting waxed paper)
Chocolate frosting (try making your own!)
For the Filling:
1 pkg (3.4 oz)instant vanilla pudding/pie filling
1 cup milk
1/2 cups heavy/whipping cream, whipped
Whisk or hand mixer*
Measuring cups (liquid and dry) and teaspoons
2** 9 x 16 jelly roll pan (commonly used as a cookie sheet;
very shallow with low sides about 1 inch high)
Waxed paper or parchemnt paper
Bowls for mixing
Serving platter/large plate
Garnishes (sprinkles, maraschino cherries, etc.)
Knife or flat edge (for leveling of dry ingredients)
*a seperate mixing utenstil/attachment will be need to whip the egg whites or you can whip them first or clean the mixer REALLY well
**you need at least 1, you can use a similar item for the second one becasue you just need a resting place for the cake
Step 2: Prepare the Cake
01. Preheat oven to 375
02. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift three three times.
03. Beat egg yolks in large bowl until light and thick.
04. Slowly add sugar to yolks, beating well after each addition.
The mixture will be very thick and light yellow in color.
05. Stir in water.
06. Beat egg whites until stiff and gently fold into mixture.
07. Fold in flour mixture, small amounts at a time.
08. Cut 2 pieces of waxed paper the size of the jelly roll pan.
Line the pan with 1 of these pieces, keeping the other for
09. Pour batter into prepared pan.
10. Bake for 15 minutes.
11. Placed 2nd sheet of waxed paper down and dust with powdered
sugar, it helps to do this on an upturned cookie sheet or
similar item. Do this while the cake still baking.
12. Quickly turn finished cake out onto the 2nd piece of paper and
remove the 1st piece from the bottom of cake.
14. Roll up in with the waxed paper, don't be afraid of it
breaking becasue it shouldn't break easily
14. Cool at room temperature before adding filling.
Step 3: Making the Filling
01. In medium bowl, combine pudding and milk (not cream).
02. Beat at low speed for one minute.
03. Fold in whipped cream
04. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Step 4: Preparing Finished Product
01. Carefully unroll and remove cake from waxed paper.
02. Fill generously with pudding filling, covering completely.
03. After filling roll back up and place on serving platter.
04. Cover entire roll, including ends, with chocolate frosting.
05. Decorate if you would like. For a log like appearance drag
the tines of a fork through the icing from end to end.
06. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Participated in the
Homemade Holidays: Holiday Treats Contest