Introduction: Build a Better Vista for Free.
Many people reported serious problems by updating there existing Windows XP (TM) machines to Vista (TM).
Even on brand new machines. See for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno
So many people planed to switch to Mac OS/X but still need WinXP up and running on there existing machine. See http://www.apple.com/switch
One solution is to have in the mean time the same Look & Feel for your XP.
Check the two screen shots. Before and after.
- Is Vista a copy of Mac? Check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ28p-J40d0
- Mac OS X being used over Vista description http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeP_eh8XAA
- See also this: "User Interface Design (Alan Kay Video - Part II)" on http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978389 (Why not only the user inferface is, what counts. It's also on what the GUI is built on. See at 40:00 for the conclusion.)
Step 1: Just Do It.
Everything you need is described in detail here: http://osx.portraitofakite.com/
Download the Package. There is only one installation file you need.
The installation is very easy.
- You can choose what to to. Optional create a restore point.
- What features you what to need.
During the installation, It will change different files from your XP system.
Here, I select all options, so this will change my XP in a Mac OS/X Look&Feel as much as possible. - Also the login screen will be changed.
NOTE: It will need less then 300MB!
Step 2: Reboot.
After reboot, you will not know your Windows system anymore.
But note: It's still Windows ;-)
You will also notice that the Look&Feel will change during the installation. The start menu bar will go to the top of the screen and also some action sounds will be changed to the Mac sounds.
Step 3: Problems With the Dashboard?
C:\Program Files\Tiger System Preferences v2\Skins\gif
find the file "skin.ini".
Open it. The Dashboard section should look like: (There was no path given to Path=, so enter the correct path and filename to "RKLauncher.exe" witch is the Dashboard.)
...[DashBoard]NormalImage=dashboard.gifDownImage=dashboard_d.gifPath=C:\Program Files\RK Launcher\RKLauncher.exeLabel=Dashboard && Expose...