There are many commercial services on the Internet, which allow their users to bypass Netflix geographic blocks in order to access content out of region. For example, if you are a US expat living in the UK and want to access the US Netflix catalogue, this is the common way do achieve this.
The following step(s) show you how to build your own solution to do this, instead of relying on commercial services. For more information, please visit https://github.com/ab77/netflix-proxy.
Step 1: Smart DNS Proxy With DigitalOcean
DigitalOcean is a cloud hosting provider, which we will use to build our Smart DNS Proxy solution.
- Head over to Digital Ocean to signup and get $10 USD credit..
- Create a Droplet using Docker 1.x application image (find it under Аpplications images).
- Make sure to create the Droplet in the right geographical location (e.g. if you want to watch US content, create it in a US data centre).
- SSH to your Droplet and run the following command at the console:
cd /opt && git clone https://github.com/ab77/netflix-proxy.git && cd netflix-proxy && ./build.sh
- Point your DNS at the Droplet IP and watch Netflix out of region.
- Enjoy or raise a new issue if something doesn't work quite right..