Introduction: CAMERA ALBUM
One of my friend asked me to make a handmade gift for her so that she can gift it on her friend's birthday. An idea come to my mind to make an album, as it has lots of memories and moments which they have shared with each other. I have made this album vintage Camera-shaped for association. In my opinion,if you want your images to truly last for decades, you should print them out and admire them for years to come. In contrast to that digital album are limited to digital world only, i.e mobile phones and laptops. Also i you have lost your gadget or damaged it, you may end up loosing you memories. But handmade album can preserve all your cherished moments for your lifetime.
This is my first instructable and in this instructable I'm going to show you how to make an album that consists of magical cards, messages and pictures that reminds you of some precious moments in your life.
As it is my first instructable so, I have taken guidance from DIY KING. He is my cousin, he motivated me to participate in this contest and be a part of Instructable society. He supported me a lot and guided me throughout the whole instructable.
Step 1: TOOLS AND SUPPLIES
- Card stock sheets : Red, black and white (You can choose color of your own choice)
- Computer papers : Red and black
- Glitter foaming sheets : Red, black and white
- Gift paper
- UHU tube
- Scissor and Zig-Zag scissor
- Clip for holding album
- Clutch pencil
- Gel pens
- Eraser, sharpener
- Some crafts punches of different shapes and sizes
- Corner rounder
- Border punches
Some stencils of different fonts and sizes
Step 2: COVERS OF THE ALBUM
- Take 2 red and black card stock sheets and trace template on it as shown in the picture and and cut them. Make two covers for each side so that it would be a bit hard as compare to pages of album.
- Now paste covers on each other, one for front side and other for the back.
- Take a white piece of card stock paper of 27cm width and 19cm length. Take a black computer paper of 25.5cm x 17.5cm dimension and paste them on front side of main cover.
- Make a circle of radius 5.5cm and a strip of 25cm (W) and 1cm (L) and punch the cover.
- Paste the circle and strip on main cover at a distance of 6cm from top.
- At backside of main cover paste a white card stock sheet of 27cm width and 19cm length and repeat the same for back cover and punch it.
Both covers are ready !!
Step 3: PAGES OF THE ALBUM
I have made 14 pages for the album and I have chosen red color theme for pages as it seems to be more appealing for black cover.
- Take a red card stock sheet and cut it into 27cm x 19cm ( W x L).
- Now round the corners of page. As I have done it myself using scissor, instead of using corner rounder to make it more appropriate according to the size of page. In case of using scissors, care should be taken to cut the corners precisely round.
- Now it's time to make the inner page: Take a white card stock sheet and make 2 rectangles of 25.5cm x 17.5cm (W x L) and cut it.
- Repeat the same process for rounding corners.
- Paste white pages on each side of the red page.
- After pasting, mark at the center of the page i.e 9.5cm and punch at the center.
- Repeat the same process for other 13 pages.
So, the cover and pages of album are ready. Now, it's time to make cards for each page that can hold pictures, wishes and messages.
I have made 14 different cards for album. So, let's get started with the first one.
Step 4: CARD NO. 1
- Take a black computer paper and make a rectangle of 22cm x 8cm. (W x L)
- Mark at a distance of 1cm from each side on both dimensions so the inner rectangle will be of 20cm width and 7cm length . Now cut it.
- Now score the paper on inner lines and fold it as shown in pictures.
- Cut corners from upper side so that it can hold cards easily after pasting.
- Take a red piece of computer paper of 18cm x 5cm. (W x L)
- Now take a border punch and decorate it beautifully.
- Paste red piece on black one cleanly.
- Now make the card holders, for this, take card stock sheet and make four cards of dimensions 12cm x 8cm.(W x L)
- Take designed (Zigzag) scissor and cut corners for beautification.
- Take two pieces of white card stock paper of 10.5cm x 6.5cm (W x L) and paste them on black ones.
- Put all holders in the pocket. First card is ready (will paste it later on the album).
Step 5: CARD NO.2 & CARD NO.3
CARD NO. 2:
- Take a black piece of paper and make a rectangle of 21cm x 12cm (W x L) and divide width into three equal parts of 7cm as shown in picture.
- Score paper on lines and fold them.
- After that, take three pieces of red computer paper of 6cm x11cm (W x L) and cut them with Zig-zag scissor.
- Now paste 2 pieces on front side of card and one inside card leaving the two sides empty.
- Take a white piece of card stock paper and using a tag punch take out a tag and paste it on one side leaving the center portion empty for picture.
CARD NO. 3:
I have made 4 small patches for writing purpose that I will paste with two cards, 2 patches with this card that I have shown above and 2 patches will be used later.
- Take black card stock sheet and cut it into 8cm by 5cm. (W x L)
- Then take white card stock sheet and cut it into 7cm by 4cm.(W x L)
- Now cut corners of white paper so it will look more attractive.
- Repeat the same procedure and make three more patches and you are done with it.
Step 6: CARD NO. 4
- Take a black card stock sheet and make a square of 12cm and mark at the center of each side i.e 6cm.
- Then using a compass make semi-circles on each sides and cut it.
- Now score the paper with a square and fold it.
- To close card, fold each side one by one as shown in pictures.
- For making it more visible take red computer papers and make 4 semi circles and cut them with the designed scissor.
- Paste them on front side of card on each semi-circle.
Step 7: CARD NO. 5
- Take 3 computer papers: 2 black and one red.
- Make a square of 20cm then fold it in half twice and then diagonally as well. The folds are clearly shown in pictures.
- Then push the folds inside as shown in pictures.
- Repeat this for the other two computer papers. Now it's time to paste them up.
- Put red computer paper upside down in the center then paste black pieces one by one as shown in pictures.
- Now push the scored folds inside so it will finally look like a square.
- Cut a square of 9cm with the designed scissor and paste it on the front side of card.
Step 8: CARD NO.6
- Take two black computer papers and make 2 templates as shown in picture.
- Now put UHU glue on the center of one piece and paste it on the center of the other one.
- Take a red computer paper and cut 4 squares of 9cm then cut the corners with the Zig-zag scissor.
- After that paste them on front side of card.
- Close the card as shown in pictures.
The 2 patches that I have made earlier will be used with this card.
Step 9: CARD NO.7
NOTE: I have shown the making of envelop with red colored paper for clear demonstration.
- Take a red computer paper and cut it into a square of 10cm.
- Then mark at 4cm and 6cm on all the four sides of square.
- After that match the lines diagonally as shown in pictures and cut four small triangles.
- Score on the lines and fold them.
- Now fold the side flap and put little glue on its corner and paste the other side flap on it.
- Then put glue on border of lower flap and fold it.
- Fold the upper flap and your envelop is ready.
- Take a piece of white card stock sheet and make 4 squares of 5cm and cut them.( I have used only three squares)
- By using corner rounder, round the edges of squares and make them even more cute.
- Make 3 envelops using black computer papers.
Step 10: CARD NO.8
- Take a black computer paper and fold it diagonally and cut excess piece of paper.
- Open the paper and fold the paper in half, twice, as shown in picture.
- On one side of square, mark at 1cm on each side and join the line and then cut it as shown in picture.
- Push diagonal fold inside as shown in picture.
- Put glue on the piece cut in serial no 3 earlier and paste it on card from outside as shown in picture.
- Repeat the same and make 3 more cards.
- Arrange them as shown in picture
- Put glue on one wall of card and join it with the adjacent wall of card. Repeat the procedure two more times and leave the fourth with out glue as shown in pictures.
- Now make 4 red squares of 9cm and 2 white squares of same dimension.
- Cut 2 red and white squares diagonally.
- After that cut all the pieces with the Zig-Zag scissor and paste them as shown in pictures.
Step 11: CARD NO.9
- Take a red computer paper and cut it into 12cm x 6cm (W x L).
- Mark at center of width on both sides i.e 6cm
- *Fold this piece in half and fold the side flaps where you have marked at center.
- Repeat the same and make 7 more pieces.
- Now take 2 pieces and put glue where I have marked cross as shown in pictures.
- Take two more pieces and paste them one by one neatly.
- After pasting open the card and again put glue where I have marked cross and take two more pieces and paste them as you have done before.
- Again open the card and put glue on the whole area and paste the last two pieces flawlessly.
Step 12: CARD NO.10
- Take a black computer paper and make a circle of radius 7cm.
- With the same radius mark 6 arcs on the circle.
- Join 2 arcs with each other leaving one arc (alternate)*
- After joining all arcs you will have two triangles (or a star shape).
- Join the edges of star by drawing a line and mark center of each line at 3.5cm as shown in the picture
- Draw 3 lines by joining the center points, as shown in picture..
- Make semi-circles using center of each line and remove excess lines with the help of an eraser.
- Now cut the flower and score on the lines.
- After that fold the scored lines and flip the flower. I have made small stars in small triangles at the back side of flower so that it would be easy to understand how to fold the flower.
- One by one push all small triangles inside where I have made the stars and it will finally look like a flower.
- Now make 4 semi-circles (two red and two white) of radius 3.5cm and cut them with Zig-Zag scissor.
- Cut the semi-circle in half and paste them on the petals of flower.
- Make a hexagon according to size of flower and paste it in flower.
- Repeat same procedure and make another flower.
Step 13: CARD NO.11
- Take a black card stock sheet and cut it into 30cm x 10cm (W x L) and fold it in half.
- Then take a red computer paper and cut it into 26cm x 9cm (W x L) and divide it into four equal parts of 6.5cm and do accordion fold i.e fold the first flap in one side fold then second flap on opposite side and so on.
- Now take another piece of red computer paper and cut it into 20cm x 9cm (W x L) and mark at 5.5cm from both ends and match them diagonally.
- Fold this piece in half, score the diagonals and fold them as shown in pictures.
- Take 2 pieces of white card stock sheet and 1 piece of red computer of same width and length i.e 8cm x 12cm. Cut their corners with Zig-Zag scissor.
- It's time to paste up all pieces. Paste white pieces inside the black card and red piece on front side.
- Now mark at center of card i.e 5cm. Take the red piece and put glue on lower and upper triangle and paste it on card as shown in pictures.
- Again mark at the center on both sides and put the accordion folded piece in the center and paste it as shown in the pictures.
- Using tag punch take out 4 tags of white card stock sheet and paste it in card.
Step 14: CARD NO.12
- Take a black computer paper and do the measurements as shown in picture.
- Score the lines and fold them and make a pocket. Cut the sides of the pocket as it can hold card easily.
- Take a red computer paper and cut it into 7.5cm x 4.5cm (W x L). For adding more beauty use a border punch to decorate it and paste it on the pocket.
- Make another pocket by repeating the same process.
- Take black and red card stock sheet and cut 2 pieces of each sheet into 8cm x 12cm (W x L).
- Now by using white card stock sheet cut 2 pieces of 6.5cm x 10.5cm (W x L). Cut the corners with Zig-Zag scissor and paste them on the black ones.
- Put 2 card holders in each pocket.
Step 15: CARD NO.13
- Take a black computer paper and cut it into 30cm x 8cm (W x L) and mark at 8cm first, then mark 4 times at a distance of 1cm as shown in picture
- Score the lines and fold them.
- Make 5 squares of 8cm and paste them on the strips of 1cm as shown in picture.
- Make a strip of 13cm x 2.5cm (W x L) and mark at a distance of 2.5cm from each side and fold it.
- Now put glue on center of the strip leaving the flaps and paste the strip on the last piece of card.
- Both flaps will be pasted later in the album so that the card can move.
Step 16: CARD NO. 10
- I have shown some templates of hearts of different sizes mentioned in the picture.
- For the base take a black card stock sheet fold it in half and trace hearts using the templates as shown in pictures and cut them.
- Fold one side of the heart in half. Do same for the other three hearts.
- Make 8 hearts of the respected sizes as shown in picture. Paste the red hearts on the black ones.
- Take the first base and put glue on the half folded side of heart and paste the heart on it according to the size of each heart (i.e 12cm heart should be pasted on 12cm base heart ). Repeat this for the other three.
- Now take the first base and mark approximately at the center so that the next base can be pasted. Repeat this for the other. Each heart will stand by the support of next one.
- For making the last card stand, I took out a small heart of glitter sheet using the craft punch and pasted it in the center of last base so that it will act as the support of last heart.
Step 17: ASSEMBLING AND FINALIZING
Now it's time to assemble all the items, so gather up all the cards, pages, pictures etc.
I have used stencils to write some messages because stencils allows you to write flawlessly and it's really tempting to read the whole thing. As well as it saves your time and effort while achieving finest writing.
For decorating album, I have used different craft punches and glitter foaming sheets. Punches are a beautiful way to decorate your cards, albums and they will ensure that the decorations looks professional and eye-catching.
Also for decoration, I have developed some snap shots of events & memories and pasted on different locations on whole album. (please refer to attached pictures). Location of the snap shots can vary depending upon your taste and situation.
Gather all cards, put both covers and pages in the clip. Now start pasting cards. I have shown pasting of some cards. And finally you are done with it !!!!
When it comes to giving birthday gifts there is nothing more heartfelt than a handmade gift. Birthdays, special events and memorable moments are occasions when you can give gift to someone you really care about. There's something very special and meaningful about a gift that you took time to make yourself, something that you really put effort on and something that you have dedicated your time is the best gift ever. So this sums up all the things.
I hope you have enjoyed my instructable, If you have any query or comment for improvement, please let me know.