Shh, don't tell my husband that I cheat on him ALL THE TIME Yes, you heard me right; I'm coming out and saying it so, I'm not afraid to cheat when it comes to baking his favorite cake, Tres Leches Cake. I'll show you how to make this cake so easy you'll be ditching all those Mexican bakeries (plus the hefty price) and be making and impressing your significant other in no time. I say live a little, cheat and indulge in the easy art of Tres Leches.
For those of you who don't know, Tres Leches means 3 milk because that is what makes the cake so good and super moist, there are 3 different milks that go into this cake. In my version, I use 4 different kinds and I think it's the best ever.
Step 1: What You Need:
Ok, let's get started because this cake like good wine (or sex) is going to take time. I'd say at least 8 hours from making to eating. I personally make it a day ahead.
1 box of moist white cake mix plus ingredients to make it (typically water, oil, and eggs)
For your milk mixture: 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup condensed milk, 1/2 cup evaporated milk, and 1/4 heavy cream
1 frozen whipped cream or a can of whipped cream
Optional: sliced strawberries
Step 2: Let the Cheater's Revolution Begin
1. Bake the box cake as directed. This time opted for the white eggs only version because I wanted to get a lighter, whiter, fluffier cake. It worked perfectly.
Yep, this is the cheating part of the cake. I use a plain box of cake mix. Trust me though, this has fooled tons of people (including my husband) into thinking I put a lot of effort into this cake.
2. Allow cake to cool completely, cover, and put the cake in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
3. Pull out cake and using a toothpick poke lots of deep holes into the cake. You want those love jabs to be all the way in.
4. Now it's time to create the milk mixture. Mix well 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 3/4 cup evaporated milk, and 1/4 cup sweetened condense milk together in a bowl. I like this amount, if you prefer sweeter, you can add more condensed milk.
Honestly as long as it's 2 cups of milk mixture total, it's fine if it tastes good to you. And if you don't have all the 4 different milk, you can even use just the regular milk you have in a jug or carton and it's fine; it just won't be as sweet.
Pour 1 cup of the milk mixture over the cake. The cake will thank you for the awesome milk bath.
5. Cover and put cake back in the refrigerator to soak the milkiness.
I usually leave the cake in overnight. If that is not an option, allow it to soak for at least 2 hours.
Step 3: Enjoy the Cheat.
1. 2 hours before serving, pull out the cake and using the leftover 1 cup milk mixture, give the cake another milk bath. And into the refrigerator the cake goes again.
2. When ready to serve, grab some whipped cream and sliced strawberries and load them on to each sliced piece of cake. Cake will come out perfectly wet and moist while still holding it's shape.
Congrats, if you made this cake. You can now be an official cheater of a Tres Leches cake: less work, more reward. :-)