To good; too easy. My 1st thought was to call this recipe "Grilled chicken Cordon Bleu," but so many people associate Chicken Cordon Bleu with a chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese and coated with egg and flour or bread crumbs; and that is not correct. Cordon Bleu actually means "of the highest class", or "a cook of the highest class," and I think that it would be very presumptuous of me to include myself in this category.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: So, Here Are the Ingredients for My "CHICKEN ITALIANO"
- One chicken breast, boneless, skinned, fat removed (in this case, for one person, about 9 - 9-1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 ounce diced Pepperoni, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 ounce Shredded low-fat part skim milk Mozzarella
- about 2 teaspoons of Extra Light Olive Oil
- 1 TBS, more or less, of a good dry rub (I make my own; recipe will follow)
Step 2: PREPARATION
- Remove any excess fat from the chicken breast and place it between a sheet of wax paper
- Pound the chicken breast so that it is evenly thin on all sides (I use a metal mallet for that purpose, but if you have a lot of aggression to wear off, you can just as easily pound it with your fists)!
- Using a very sharp thin-bladed knife, cut a slit (a pocket) within the thickest side of the breast
- Stuff the pocket with the diced pepperoni and shredded mozzarella cheese
- Close the pocket with a toothpick or two
- Coat both sides of the stuffed chicken breast with the olive oil; sprinkle with the .drub rub, cover it with waxed paper, and let it rest while your grill preheats
Step 3: GRILLING DIRECTIONS
I love my old indoor Hamilton Beach Electric Grill! I have cooked more enjoyable meals and snacks on this little grill than anyone could possibly imagine!
- Preheat the Grill for 5 minutes.
- When the grill is hot, spray the grids with a cooking oil spray like Pam
- Place the stuffed chicken breast on the grill and close the lid.
- Since I like to crisscross the grill marks, I turn the breast about 45 degrees after about 4 minutes.
- When the Chicken breast is cooked, plate it.
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
A fresh chicken breast stuffed with Pepperoni and Mozzarella; a nice Garden Salad, and a glass of Chianti - who could ask for more?
NUTRITION: I estimate that this recipe has an estimated 418 calories and 12 carbohydrates
RECIPE FOR MY DRY RUB:
1 tsp Chili Powder
2 tsps Ground Oregano
2 tsps Coarse Ground Black Pepper
1 TBS Garlic Powder
2 TBS Hot Dry Mustard
2 TBS Onion Powder
3 TBS Smoked Paprika
2 TBS Poultry Seasoning
2 tsp Sea Salt
Mix all the ingredients together and place in a shaker with small openings.