CNC Vacuum Hose Mount

5,582

22

1

Introduction: CNC Vacuum Hose Mount

About: Hi I'm Steve. I am a mechanical engineering graduate from Canada.

This is a vacuum hose mount I cut using the CNC I built.

Dust collection is quite a problem using regular air cooled routers due to the air that exits around the collet. The air circulated fine dust around my basement so this was my solution....

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Measurements

I took measurements of my router and the hose of my shop vac.

Step 2: Computer-Aided Design and CAM

I used Creo Elements 5 Pro Schools Edition but anything that exports .stl or .dwg would be fine.

The top piece simply clamps to the router and the vac hose.

The bottom piece is designed to allow the collet through but deflect any exiting air from the router out the sides.

Creo doesn't export nice round circles by default but I didn't bother changing any settings. The .stl export feature in SketchUp has given me more round circles. I stuck with Creo because it is easier for me to define features.


I have used MeshCAM 5 pretty much since I started out since it is very simple to use. Their site, GRZ Software, states MeshCAM is for non-machinists and they really do mean it.

Step 3: Run the Toolpath

Fun. It is so ironic when one uses their CNC to mill something for their CNC.

Step 4: Assembly

I simply used a couple of bolts and a few nuts and washers.

Step 5: Test

The bottom piece keeps deflects all the air outwards but keeps the dust and such on the stock.

The only downside is that the two LEDs on the DeWalt DWP611 don't illuminate the cutting surface anymore.

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Cardboard Speed Challenge

      Cardboard Speed Challenge
    • Sculpting Challenge

      Sculpting Challenge
    • 3D Printed Contest

      3D Printed Contest

    Discussions

    0
    AJMansfield
    AJMansfield

    6 years ago on Step 5

    If you make another one our of acrylic, the lights would then be able to shine through again.