Hi everyone! This project came out as a solution of a dire problem that I had – a tangled earphone. So, I sketched a design for an earphone holder; something small, practical and looks good. Since I love miniatures I have an idea of making it into a shape of wooden cable drum. The diameter of the drum’s barrel is only 10 mm, with a flange diameter of 40 mm and an inside traverse of 15 mm.
Before I start the instructions, I would like to clarify one thing. I made this project with basic hand tools, and it does take some time to finish it. You can however use power tools – hand drill, Dremel tools etc; to complete the job. Which does make it a lot easier and faster.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Gather Your Tools & Materials
- Craft Sticks
- Craft Knife
- Cutting Mat
- PVA White Glue
- Small Brush
- Paper Clips
- Needle File – a Flat type and a Half Round type
- Masking Tape
Step 2: Making the Cable Drum’s Flange
- First of all, draw a template on a paper, cut it out, and trace it over a line of craft sticks.
- Trim the sticks with cutter. Do not attempt to cut the shape with the cutter. You’ll break the stick.
- Cut the sticks into halves. Now with smaller width, it will be much easier to cut the sticks without breaking it.
- Use the flat file to finish up the edge.
- As for the barrel hole, use the half round file to make the shape.
- Once all done, arrange the sticks into its shape.
- Apply PVA glue on the surface. Do this on one side of the sticks only.
- Make two of these flanges.
Step 3: Making the Cable Drum’s Barrel
- Cut the craft stick of a size of 15 mm – you’ll need 3 of it.
- Cut it into halves, arrange it in a line and apply PVA glue.
- Once dried, roll it over into a cylindrical shape. Glue both ends. Use masking tape if necessary to hold the shape.
Step 4: Attach the Barrel
- Glue the barrel onto the middle of the first flange.
- Add another layer of sticks on top of the first one. Arrange it in perpendicular to add strength to the shape.
Step 5: Attach the Second Flange
- Glue the second flange to the other end of the barrel.
- Same as the previous step, add another layer of sticks for the second flange. Use paper clips to hold it while it dries.
Step 6: Strengthen the Barrel
Add another layer of sticks to the barrel. Use tweezers to easily glue the sticks onto its place.
Step 7: Add a Groove
- As the final touch use the file to create a small groove at one end of the flange. This is to run the earphone cable through the drum.
- I didn’t further sand the cable drum nor add a layer of lacquer as I prefer the rough looks that it had. You may do these additional steps if you wanted to.
Step 8: Get Those Earphone Untangle
Now that it’s done, I don’t have to worry about tangled earphone anymore. Plus, now I have a miniature wooden drum to carry around too!
Participated in the
Invention Challenge 2017