Intro: Callisto Earrings
We have developed a bit of a fascination lately with Jupiter's moons. Why? Because they are awesome. Callisto was the inspiration for this project because, quite frankly, she looks sparkly, and heaven knows I have TONES of glitter to work with.
Yes, I know, she isn't really made of glitter, but she's heavily cratered and made of rock and ice, so it looks like it in pictures!
For this project we used the hardware of an old earring who sadly lost it's mate :(
We also used a Styrofoam ball, blue, purple, silver and gold paint, a thin metal wire, silver glitter, a piece of cardboard (to paint on), and needle nosed pliers.
Step 1: Paint Your Moon
I'm not sure what color Callisto actually is. In some photo's she looks blue/purple. In other's she looks brown/gold. We decided to make it shades of blue/purple and gold.
- Put the Styrofoam ball on a piece of cardboard to protect your work surface.
- Splatter the colors onto the ball and gently roll it around with you fingers.
- Repeat this with all the colors until the entire ball is covered in overlapping layers of paint.
- While the paint is still wet, sprinkle glitter over the ball. It doesn't have to be even as Callisto looks to have some heavily "sparkled" areas, and some areas look bare.
Step 2: Hardware
- Use needle nosed pliers to open the ring at the bottom of the hardware.
- Attach the wire and close ring.
- Poke a hole in the top of the Styrofoam.
Step 3: Become a Super Space Goddess
- Put the earring on and instantly transform into a giant Space Goddess, who wears moons for earrings and eats Red Giants for breakfast!
*Results May Vary*