Introduction: Candy Pencils and Pens
Have you ever sat in a class, wishing you had something to nibble on while your teacher boringly continued his/her lecture, and leaving you in peace with your snack? Then this is the instructable for you! The teacher won't think twice after seeing you suck the end of your pencil. But what he/she won't know is that you are actually sucking on some delicious candy!
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Getting the Ingredients
YOU WILL NEED:
- A few pencils and pens (I used 10 with some candy to spare)
- Play-Doh, modeling clay, or something to hold the pencils as the candy dries
- Candy thermometer (optional)
- 8x10 inch (20x25 cm) baking pan lined with wax paper
- Buttered knife
- 1/2 pound sugar (250 grams or a cup of sugar)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of water
- a good pinch of cream of tartar
- a few drops of favoring and coloring of your choice
Step 2: Step 2: Making the Candy
- Put the sugar and water in a pan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved
- Raise the heat . When the syrup is almost boiling, add the cream of tartar, and insert a warmed candy thermometer (if using).
- Boil WITHOUT stirring until the syrup is 250 degrees Fahrenheit (about 120 degrees Celsius). If not using the thermometer, boil the mixture until a little bit of the syrup dropped into cold water forms a hard ball which will hold its shape, but is still somewhat pliable.
- After reaching the aforementioned stage, remove from the heat and add flavoring and coloring. Do not over stir and BE VERY CAREFUL, as the mixture is very hot.
Step 3: Step 3: Covering the Pens an Pencils
Step 4: Step 4: ENJOY!
Now that you have made these candy coated writing utensils, your class or job will be a little bit more bearable. From the left over mixture, I made some scrumptious lollipops, to give to friends. I give special thanks to the instructable: "Classic hard candy chews" by jen7714 for giving me the inspiration for such a project.