Intro: Candy Wave Machine
This is based on the candy wave machine featured in Dean Baird's video (includes VIDEO of the wave machine in action): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCbf9_4xN_E
- 3 boxes of Dots candies, about 150 Dots ($1/box at Target)
- 75 bamboo skewers (available at most dollar stores)
- Duct tape
- Clamps and ring stands for fastening the ends of the wave machine
Step 1: Make the Barbells
(Have the students) make 75 "barbells" and mark their centers of balance.
Step 2: Mark the Duct Tape
- Lay your duct tape down, sticky side up.
- Draw a line down the center using a permanent marker (you may need to use a ruler to find/draw the center line)
- Mark the center line at every 4 cm (or whatever spacing you want your candies to be at)
Step 3: Stick the Barbells on the Duct Tape
Align the centers of each barbell to the marks on the duct tape.
Step 4: Prepare the Ends
I made the ends so instead of being taped to the rods that hold them, there's a loop where you can slide the rod in and out so they're not permanently attached.
- Place small pieces of tape over both ends where the duct tape will wrap around the rods.
- Fold the duct tape over, creating loops on each end, where you can slide a rod in.
Step 5: Reinforce the Top
To make sure the barbells stay on, I reinforced the wave machine by sticking an additional layer of duct tape over the barbells.