Bread and Butter Pickles (Sweet Pickles)
Time: 2 hours
5-6 pounds cucumbers, sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1.5 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon kosher salt
*Makes 3 - 16oz jars or 2-32oz jars
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Cucumbers
1. Pick, wash and chop cucumbers.
2. Place in a bowl with kosher salt and set in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
3. After 2 hours, remove and rinse cucumbers well.
4. add onions and set to the side.
Step 2: Brine Mixture
1. In a large pot place cider vinegar, white vinegar, brown sugar, white sugar and seasonings.
2. Bring to a boil on medium heat. mix well
3. While brine is heating up.....
4. Add pickles and onions to jars.
Step 3: Store
1. Once brine boils, remove from heat and pour over cucumbers and onions.
2. Wipe rim and place lids on. Screw bands tight and flip over to vacuum seal the jar.
3. After a few hours, once the jars have cold place in refrigerator.
* Store up to a year.
Follow us on Instagram and etsy.com @pinehillsfarm!
Participated in the
Canning and Pickling Contest 2016