Capacitor Spark IPhone Photography

About: Comment what I should make. I will try to make anything with what I have.

In this Instructable I will show you how to take really cool capacitor spark photographs with an iPhone iPod or iPad and other phones.

Step 1: What You Need

What you need-
Phone camera (I used an iPod touch)
Wall transformer (9v or above for big sparks)
Capacitor (I used a 200 volt capacitor)
Something metal like a screw driver

Step 2:

On the end of the wire of the wall transformer where u plug it into something find the hole and put in on one of the legs of the capacitor.

Get the metal thing and touch the other leg and the metal on the end of the plug at the same time.

Step 3:

The current will go through like this. And yes I used snapchat app to draw this:)

Step 4:

Take the wall transformers end off the capacitor and video the metal piece touching the both legs of the capacitor. You should see a spark.

Step 5:

Find the frame where the spark happened by sliding through the frames of the video.

Step 6:

Take a snapshot by pressing the home button and the top button at the same time. It should flash.
iPhone 6s and iPhone 6 and the new iPhone SC or something like that have the lock buttons on the side.

Step 7:

Now you have a cool picture of a capacitor shorting and sparking. This will not ruin your capacitor.

Step 8: Comment Your Pictures :)



    • PCB Contest

      PCB Contest
    • Warm and Fuzzy Contest

      Warm and Fuzzy Contest
    • Toys Contest

      Toys Contest

    4 Discussions


    2 years ago

    Be careful to choose the right transformer. Not all have the negative pole outside. Always connect + to + and - to -. If you charge for a short time the wrong way it will eventually be harmless. Worst cases are your transformer is toast, your capacitor is toast or (this will take a while) your capacitor will toast you. The latter is not that dangerous as in old days where they did not have a security valve. But the liquid that comes out is nothing you want to eat with your toast xD

    1 reply

    Reply 2 years ago

    if i charge it the wrong way it will eventually be harmless. I never knew that XD thx for viewing my instructable.


    2 years ago

    Capacitors scare me. I presume you know the ones that can melt metal, explode, harm or kill you before choosing the one in the example?

    1 reply

    Reply 2 years ago

    No, no. With a 9V charge you will not be able to make metal melt (except you take a very thin copper wire). See also my comment above.

    NB: I know it does not depend on the voltage, but on the capacity and the resistance which determines the current that can flow in a certain time. But creating a dangerous spark is tricky. Maybe if you produce it right near your eye. Or if you take magnesium to shortcut the capacitor.