Car Armrest DIY

1,433

7

3

Intro: Car Armrest DIY

Car Armrest Reupholster

Step 1: Overview

I recently purchased a new to me car. While it was mechanically sound, the interior was less than beautiful. The armrest in particular, which looked like dog nails used it as grip during travel, definitely needed to be replaced.

Step 2: Remove Old Armrest

Unassemble your car armrest. Mine has an adjustable height and may be more complicated than most. It should be held on by only a few screws. Remove them and keep them in a safe place for reassembly.

Step 3: Remove Old Leather

If you can call this leather. The old cover needs to be peeled off. carefully remove it and any foam padding that might be damaged underneath.

Step 4: Cut New Leather

Forgot pictures (facepalm)

Nevertheless. If you can, use the old leather as a pattern. If not, place your armrest in the center of your new leather. Cut a square with enough for overlap. More is always better since you can't add more back on.

Step 5: Glue and Reinstall

The hardest part is gluing the leather so you don't have any folds or seams. Luckily, mine was stretchy enough which helped around the corners.

The trick is starting on one side and working your way around. Don't be tempted by trying to do multiple sides at once. You will inevitably cause wrinkles and find you have too much material in the corners.

Once done gluing, reassemble your armrest and enjoy!

Share

    Recommendations

    • Tiny Home Contest

      Tiny Home Contest
    • Metalworking Contest

      Metalworking Contest
    • Audio Contest 2018

      Audio Contest 2018

    3 Discussions

    0
    None
    gm280

    4 months ago

    Nice reupholster job in my opinion. I have two questions. First what type glue did you use. Second why didn't you get a leather that matched the seats. It looks like you went with a brown leather and the seat are not in the brown family (of course I am color blind to some colors). Just wondering. But nice getting it to lay down without wrinkles. Bravo!

    2 replies
    0
    None
    rossthebuildergm280

    Reply 4 months ago

    I started out using hot glue. But being short sighted, I did not have enough to finish the job. So I ripped out, started over. I then used super glue. The unfortunate thing about super glue was the set up time. Because the fabric was porous, you had to squeeze tightly and hold. It would've been helpful if i had multiple clamps.

    The leather is black. I finished the job late at night and had to use the flash. The color you see is not quite accurate, it is indeed black like the rest of the compartment in the middle and cupholder section.

    0
    None
    gm280rossthebuilder

    Reply 4 months ago

    Well looks nice however you glued it on. Maybe some Dap Weldwood contact cement next time would work. That stuff is amazing. And the color doesn't look black to me. But then again, could be my computer setup as well, or my eyes. IDK lol