A Caramel Pudding / A Caramel Flan is a mouth melting, and yummy dessert that you will surely make again and again, once made.
The best thing about this dessert is, with just 3 ingredients, it gives us such a wonderful delight.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients & Tools
- Egg – 4
- Sugar – 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp (For caramelizing)
- Milk – 500 ml / 2 cups
- Vanilla Essence (Completely Optional) – 2 drops
- Baking Pan / Mould
- Misc. Kitchen Utensils
Step 2: Sugar Caramelizing
Instead of oil greasing, in Caramel Pudding we use Caramelized sugar. For this, we need to caramelize the sugar. I am using the same pan, which I am using to make the pudding, for caramelizing. If your pan cannot be used on the fire, you can caramelize sugar and pour it to the mold.
- Put 3 tbsp sugar into the dish, and place it on the stove. Reduce the heat to medium.
- In about a minute or two, the sugar will start to brown. Keep the flame to the lowest once it starts browning.
- When it reaches a nice dark amber color, switch off the fire.
- Avoid using a spoon, and creating a mess, as the caramel will harden very fast.
- Spread the caramel in the whole pan, by swirling the pan with tongs.
- Leave it to cool down.
- Once it is cooled down, it hardens (It might have some cracks....never mind that).
Step 3: Pudding Preparation
Keep the steamer with water to preheat.
While the caramel is cooling and steamer preheating, we can make the pudding mix.
Break 4 eggs directly to the blender. Add in the Sugar, milk, and vanilla essence (Though this is completely Optional, I strongly recommend; As this removes the eggy smell, and instead gives nice aroma).
Blend for a minute or two, to combine everything well.
Step 4: Pudding Mix to Pan
Pour the pudding mix onto the hardened sugar caramel. If you want, you can strain the mix. (I don't do that).
Step 5: Steam
Close the lid of steamer and steam. Once steam comes, simmer for 10-12 minutes and then switch off the fire and leave it for another 5 minutes. Pudding will be ready by now.
Step 6: Unmolding and Serving
Allow it to cool down to room temp. I like them to be refrigerated overnight.
(When cooled, the custard detaches from sides when lightly shaken).
To serve, keep a plate upside down on the pan, and quickly reverse both together. Slowly pull up the pan.
Delicious silky smooth caramel pudding is ready to be enjoyed...
Step 7: To Bake Instead of Steaming
You can also bake this in the oven. For that start by preheating oven to 180 degrees C. Place the custard pan into another bowl/larger pan filled with water (about half way). Put this into the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until done. Or if you have an electric cooker, you can do the same way!!!
Step 8: Notes
- Overcooking makes the custard curdled.
- Adding or avoiding vanilla essence makes no difference in the smoothness or taste of the custard.
- Though it can be immediately eaten after little cooling (like 1/2 to 1&1/2 hours); It is always the best when cooled in the refrigerator, overnight.
Thanks for reading my first Instructable! Feedbacks are always welcome.
I would appreciate your vote in the Sweet Treats Contest!
Participated in the
Sweet Treats Challenge