Introduction: Carrot Risotto
This creamy carrot and barley risotto with julienned carrot garnish is comfort food for autumn. The roasted carrot cream sauce is made with heirloom carrots to blend in with the pale white color of the barley. The garnish is made with tricolor carrots for a beautiful splash of color. All the heirloom carrots can be found at your local Trader Joe's.
1 cup barley
5 white carrots
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 carrot of each color (orange, yellow, white), for garnish
1. Boil the barley in 3 cups salted water until al dente. Drain but do not rinse. Set aside in strainer.
2. Chop the white carrots and add to the pot with the butter and salt. Roast for ten minutes. Add the 1/2 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Simmer for five minutes.
3. Put all the ingredients from the pot into a blender with the 1/3 cup of cream. Puree.
4. Mix the carrot puree in with the barley in the pot.
5. Julienne the carrot trio. Steam for three minutes in a separate pot in shallow water. Drain.
6. Serve the barley into two dishes and garnish with the steamed carrots.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.