Intro: Cat Tower/Hammock
I saw one of these at the local Humane Society shelter. Took a photo and this is what I have come up with. I have never seen these at a store, and for the cost to build, who wouldn't want to save $$$! Planning on getting some made and sell different versions at garage/yard sale, see how that goes.
With the model I am going to show being built, you will need the following items: (sizes will be shown in US measurements)
" = in; ' = ft
- Approx. 2 to 3 pieces of 1" pipe (commonly comes in 10' pieces)
- 1" PVC T's = 16
- 1" PVC Elbows = 12
- Approx. 2yrds of scrap material/remnants
- Shower curtain rings = 8
- 1/4" or 3/8" dowel rods = approx. 2'
- 1" strapping material = approx 2-3' (purchase from fabric store or use from old backpack/duffel bag)
- 1" x 12" pine or sheet of thin plywood for shelf (the size of the shelf will again depend on what size you make the frame in general. I would suggest wrapping the wood material with some kind of soft fabric, as your cat will enjoy lazying around on this perch.
- Hacksaw or other tool to cut pipe
- Sandpaper (to smooth edges of pipe and I like to go down the sides and sand off printed markings)
- Sewing machine and/or thread/needle
- Drill w/ drill bits to drill holes for dowel rods
- If you prefer to make this a permanent structure, PVC Pipe Glue
- Screws (to attach wood shelf), and to hang toy from bottom of shelf
- A cat toy on a string of your choice!
- A cat or two to enjoy it!
Step 1: Cutting Pipe to Length
Cut the following lengths out of the pipe, label and lay aside.
10 - 2" pieces to go between every elbow and T.
Lengths of pipe:
A - 20" ea
B - 18" ea
C - This is really to your judgement. Your cat will have to have something to climb up from.
D - 12" ea
E - 22 1/2 ea
F - 8" ea
Step 2: Measurements
As mentioned in previous steps, this is a DIY project. I am providing the basics. You will need to determine your own measurements for majority of this. I have no measurements when I built mine, just guessed, gauged, cut exact 1st time!
Step 3: Making the Hammock
- Take one length of material, 18" wide, & 45" long
- Fold it in half, inside out, and sew along a line about 1/2" from edge all around the 2 long sides. Add in your straps about 1" from each end as show in photo.
- Turn material back right side out. Tuck open end under and sew along edge as shown.
- Final product, ready to be hung! Take the straps and loop a shower curtain ring through, then slide ring over pipe and lock into place.