I found this chair on the street and thought that was perfect for my school project.
The theme was renovation of a chair based on a famous painting. I chose "The Antropormophic Cabinet" (1936) by Salvador Dali.
Dali was influenced by the theories of Sigmund Freud and created this female figure with open drawers that represent memories.
I got inspiration from this concept and created a chair full of my family's memories.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Before, Materials and Tools
1 - The seating was completely destroyed
2 - One of the legs was missing some parts.
3 - The joints were loose.
4 - The finish was badly damaged
1 - Sandpapper (120, 240, 400 grid)
2 - Varnish
3 - Scraps of plywood (5mm)
4 - Acrylic (5 mm)
5 - Wood Glue
6 - Wood screws
7 - Cardboard
1 - Orbital sander
2 - Hand saw
3 - Wood files
4 - Screw driver
5 - Jig saw
Step 2: Fixing the Leg
1 - Glued a piece of wood in the damaged leg
2 - Using an handsaw cut the extra wood.
3 - Finished it using some wood files and sandpapper.
Step 3: Disassemble and Lots of Sanding
1 - Disassembled all the pieces that had loose joints
2 - Took the old varnish using the orbital sander
3 - I had to sand some pieces by hand using 120/240 grid
Step 4: Assembly and Glue Up
1 - Applyed glue on the joints and used some clamps to keep it in place.
2 - Used a wet rag to clean the extra glue.
Step 5: False Drawers
I forgot to take photos of the construction of the drawers...so i have a scheme explaining all the details.
1 - Created cardboard templates for all the parts and cut it from 5 mm plywood:
- 2 sides,
- 2 backs,
- 1 big front
- 3 drawer fronts
2 - Made some tiny knobs with scraps of wood
3 - I set all the pieces together using glue and clamps.
1 - Using cardboard, made a template of the top of the seat for the acrylic piece.
2 - Cut the final shape using the jig saw.
3 - Pre-drill some holes for the wood screws.
4 - Sanded the rough edges
5 - Screwed the acrylic to the frame.
Step 6: Finish and Mistakes
1 - Applied the first coat of clear varnish
2 - Waited 6 hours and sanded everything with 400 grid
3 - Last coat of varnish after 12 hours
I have some cracking on the acrylic top because i used too much force when screwing it to the frame.
Step 7: Final Reveal
This is the final result with some objects inside the drawers that represent the memories of my family.
It was a really fun challenge to do and i hope that you can create your own version.
Runner Up in the
Before and After Contest 2017