Introduction: Charging Box With Individual Switches - No Wiring Needed!
Inspired by other projects here I decided to make my own charging station and I wanted to make one with individual switches to avoid keeping all the chargers running when I only need to use one, thus saving energy! This is what I came up with.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: What You Need
To avoid wiring and complicated electronics, I bought six sockets with switches and searched online for a socket strip with the holes in a 90 degree angle so that I could place all the switch sockets in it. A regular 45 degree angle socket strip will not work. Sorry about my lack of English words, but take a look at the pictures and you will get the idea.
Step 2: The Box
I placed all the six chargers that I wanted to use in the sockets and mesured the amount of space I would need around them. After that it was time to build the box. I found some thin plywood in my parent's basement som I decided to use that, gluing it all together with some extra wood around the edges as you can see in the pictures.
* Please note: I am a terrible carpenter and I had a lot of problems making the wooden box and terrible tools, so I'm not the right person to give advice on how to do this. I'm sure anyone reading this can do a better job.
Step 3: The Switches
My original idea was to make square holes in the plywood for each of the switches, but since both my tools and skills were inadequate, I decided to make a rectangular opening instead. I took a sheet of white plastic and cut holes for the switches to cover the hole in the plywood, see picture.
Step 4: The Lid
I made three holes in the lid of the box which meant two cables for each hole. There's no risk of the cables disappearing into the holes since the box is small and packed full of cables.
Step 5: Finishing Touch
To make it easy to see which switch I need to turn on for each charger, I printed some pictures on adhesive paper and stuck it on top of each switch. I also made some holes in the back to be able to hang it on the wall.
Done! Please leave comments, questions and suggestions on how to improve the project!