Introduction: Charlie's Coffeemaker Wassail
Little cold out? This beverage will warm you right up.
(This is my first instructable so go easy on me)
Step 1: Gather Everything You'll Need:
- Coffeemaker you don't mind using for brewing cran-apple juice (you can always run a rinse after wassail brewing to use again for coffee)
- 1 quart pyrex measuring bowl
- 64oz container of sweetened cran-apple juice (for 2 batches)
- A tangerine or clementine
- Angostura bitters
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 12 whole cloves
- 6-8 oz standard coffee cup
Step 2: Rinse Cycle
Place a new filter into the basket of your coffeemaker (CM), fill CM to 8 cup level with water.
Turn on to run a rinse cycle.
Step 3: Flavoring Filter
While CM is in rinse cycle place a new filter, bottom down the counter.
Combine flavoring ingredients into filter:
- Cut the tangerine or clementine in half against the cleavage and remove core if any
- Rub a drop of Angostura bitters into exposed fruit
- Break cinnamon sticks in half and then apart so spice is exposed.
- Spread cinnamon pieces evenly on bottom of filter
- Carefully center tangerine side up.
- Distribute cloves loosely around bottom of filter.
Step 4: Get Brewing
Once rinse cycle is finished turn off CM, remove basket and discard filter, wait a couple minutes for unit to cool.
- Place favoring filter into basket.
- Pour apple-cranberry juice into CM, stop at the 8 cup level
- Place 1 qt pyrex measuring bowl onto CM hotplate.
- Switch on CM and set on "strong" or "slow" if available
Step 5: Looks Good Doesn't It
Here's a picture of filter basket when brewing is near finished.
Step 6: Get Your Cup
In a standard coffee cup add 1/2 oz of favorite spiced rum.
Step 7: Time to Enjoy
Once CM has finished it's brewing cycle, fill cup to 3/4 full.
Enjoy the quart of wassail and share.
Use a new flavoring filter if you go for a second batch,