Cheap 6 X AA to 1 X 9v Battery Conversion (on Boss ME-30)




Introduction: Cheap 6 X AA to 1 X 9v Battery Conversion (on Boss ME-30)

About: I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. But I can fix whats broken, and get my shit done.

Today I'm converting a Boss ME-30 guitar effects simulator, designed to run from 6 AA batteries to instead use a single 9v battery.

Teacher Notes

Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.

Step 1: Why Would I Do Such a Thing?

I was given this from a friend who purchased it online as working, but unfortunately someone had left old batteries in there which had leaked and corroded the casing.

Luckily the boards were fine, so rather than replace the corroded components I opted to use a 9v instead.

The specs are the same (when you open a 9v up there are usually 6 x 1.5 batteries stacked inside) and I keep a ton of 9v spare around for all sorts of things anyway.

Step 2: You Will Need

Whatever you're converting
A nice full 9v
A drained (or sacrificial) 9v

Soldering iron/solder
Electrical tape
Wire strippers/cutters
Hot glue
Dremel, or something to cut plastic

Step 3: Scrapping the Drained Battery

If you already have a spare 9v battery attachment, just go ahead and connect it up to the red and black wires and skip the next bit.

If you dont (like me) then you can easily make one from a dead 9v.

Just carefully cut the casing away, starting from the seam at the top and peel it away in small pieces being careful not to damage the plastic surrounding of the terminals.

When you're about halfway through everything should just slide out.

The top should just lift up easily and be connected to a piece of flat wire on one side, just cut that off & keep the top.
That's the only part you need.

Step 4: Connecting It Up

Inside your project, just get the red and black wires that were connected to the battery port and solder them to the salvaged top piece in the right order (on the battery - is female, + is male, so on your connector it's + female and - male).

I added some heatshrink and a covering of hot glue to the connector and hot glued the wires down in a few places along the way make it a bit stronger, seeing as they were not intended to be moveable.

Nice and easy, all up took about 5 minutes.

Time to make it fit.

Step 5: Clean It Up and Make It Fit

I removed all the corroded metal parts from the plastic housing and after a quick wash with some warm soapy water it cleaned up pretty well.

Luckily for me there was no hardware under the battery casing, so I simply grabbed the trusty ol dremel and cut a hole through the bottom.

It ended up being a bit close to the edge of a board, so I put a couple of pieces of electrical tape on, just in case.

Fits perfectly, lid closes and doesnt rattle, lovely.

Step 6: Done!

With everything plugged in, hit the on switch and it fired straight up.
After a few hours "testing" its working perfectly.

From the scrapheap to the music room in under 15 minutes for the cost of a flat battery.

Hope this helps.

- Leeroy

Be the First to Share


    • Trash to Treasure Contest

      Trash to Treasure Contest
    • Raspberry Pi Contest 2020

      Raspberry Pi Contest 2020
    • Wearables Contest

      Wearables Contest

    2 Discussions


    3 years ago

    I am sure what you did works. However, the 9 volt battery replacement will not last as long as the original AA battery setup. There is way more available current with 6 AA batteries then one 9 volt battery. But it should work for a while. As far as the corroded connectors. You can make new ones using an old tin can and a tin snips or quality scissors to make replacement tabs for the AA battery connectors. Just a suggestion. But there is nothing wrong with you change over as well.


    Reply 3 years ago

    Cheers GM280!
    I live in a gamers house (xbox360 & one, ps 3&4, wii & wiiu currently connected in the loungeroom) so AA's are something of a precious commodity around here, while I keep a ton of spare 9v around as my guitars have active pickups or inbuilt tuners and I have alot of boss single pedals, so that, mixed with some impatience was my reasoning to just use the 9v.

    I guess running two batteries in parallel would bring the amps up a tad closer, but for the sake of simplicity and available space I've just used the one.

    Realistically, I've been "testing" on and off for about 8 hours now, the longest being a 4 hour solid session with no signs of slowing down, which considering how power hungry these things are supposed to be is kind of impressive.