I've seen a lot of these coffee tables on Pinterest.
thought i'd give it a try.
tried to keep it as cheap as possible, had purchased a jigsaw, sander and impact driver previously for other diy projects.
wood was free obviously...
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Getting Started
I found a good looking pallet at the local grocery store, it seemed fairly new, without a lot of rain damage, and looked fairly easy to work with.
i started with trimming the sides of the pallet and removing the bottom support pieces with my trusty jigsaw. after that i cut two pieces down the center and attached them to the sides creating a frame in which i could start making an 'artsy' design.
decided the easiest way to go with a good looking design is to start laying down triangles at the corners and keep going inwards till i reach the center.
i would keep going inwards using whatever reclaimed wood i could find hoping that different aged wood would give it a prettier look.
every piece would take some time cutting and filing till it fit well. I attached them to the frame using wood glue and self-drilling wood screws. i drilled them in from the bottom side thinking i would keep the top part clean.
it started taking shape nicely though the filing by hand started to take its toll on my carpal tunnel.
had to give it a rest for a day
the next day i reached the center. luck had it that it came out straight enough.
it was good enough. on to the next stage; building the base
i found a heavier pallet at the back of a metal shop near by, i guessed the thicker wood used to ship metal would be enough to support my coffee table.
i used two 2-by-4's, cut them to size and drilled them in using metal corner braces.
i added four pieces to make the bottom level
Now for some sanding, a lot of sanding.
this sander cost about 40$, and did an okay job. but i would spring for a better one next time ;-)
it took about 3 whole hours of sanding and filing
i put on two layers of the cheapest lacquer i could find (12$ a can)
took about 12 hours of work
Tools ~ 100$ (sander, impact driver, jigsaw)