Introduction: Cheap & Tasty Pasta E Fagioli Recipe
This cheap & delicious red bean pasta is inspired by the traditionalNapoli pasta dish, pasta e fagioli. Fagioli in Italian means legumes and you can use any other legumes of your choice such as chickpeas, black beans, etc. This recipe is meal prep friendly and tastes amazing both reheated and cold.
Calorie and macro information (per serving, 4 servings total): 482 calories, 16F, 42C, 7F, 5 sugars, 39 P
2 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig of fresh rosemary 3 sprigs of fresh thyme 600 g ground 10% fat ground beef (adjust amount based upon your protein needs) 1 medium red onion chopped 3 minced garlic Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, dried oregano Canned red beans (240 g drained) 1 chicken stock plus water or just chicken broth 1 can peeled tomato (240 g drained) 160 g whole grain macaroni type pasta
Instructions: 1. Put fresh bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme into a tea ball. Set aside.
2. At medium high heat in a large sauce pan add beef, garlic, onion. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the beef is browned. About 5 min.
3. Once the beef is browned, add in red beans, chicken stock cube, tea ball with the herbs, and canned tomato. Refill the can with water, add in the water, and then add water until you barely cover the mixture. Season again with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and dried oregano. Simmer for 15 min.
4. After 15 min, take out the tea ball, and scoop out 1.5 cups of the bean beef mixture. Set aside.
5. Add the pasta, season with salt, pepper, and cook for 10 min.
6. While the pasta is cooking, puree the beef bean mixture.
7. Once the pasta is cooked, add the puree back into the pasta soup, season one last time with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir very well and let it sit for 10 to 30 min.
You can serve it right away with some Parmesan cheese and chives or you can divide them into 4 containers and eat them later. You can serve them cold (actually tastes better in my opinion) or warm. The pasta doesn't get soggy at all.
Hopefully you like this recipe and for similar tasty lunch/dinner recipes below: