I love Moleskine journals they are classy and always handy, but a bit pricey for the size (around $12 for one), excellent quality tho. I work in an office were we shamefully spend large amounts of paper, and good one, although always goes to recycle I came with a better idea of making "sort of" moleskine journals for my notes and sketches, this is my latest project.
Step 1: Materials Tools and Dimensions
Ok, did i mention that in my work we trow away industrial quantities of paper? I can't imagine multiplying that same amount of paper for each office in the rest of the US, I don't even want to think about it., of course recycling its always a good thing but at the end encourages people to keep wasting paper, lets save some trees reusing it.
I was trying to do this project the fastest, cheapest and easiest way possible, so this is not a professional bookbinding instructable per se.
The main material is "recycled" paper 60gr.. (I collect pieces of good paper cut outs of architectural drawings)
I also collect pieces of cardboard for the cover boards
waxed thread or dental floss (this one is very handy and cheap, but i wouldn't recommend reusing ;))
Pencils and a ruler
Small drill or hole puncher for paper
The Dimensions of the Moleskine Pocket size: 9 x 14 cm (3ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ½ x 5ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ½") , I did mine of 3.75" x 5.5", don't ask me why.
I folded 4 pieces of paper in half and I cut them to the dimensions above and I got 8 pages, I did 13 pieces to get 104 pages the Moleskine sketchpad has 100.
Step 2: Sewing and Final Touch
I put the 13 pieces together between two pieces of wood, as a contraption to avoid movement and to create the stack. With a small hand drill I literally drill six holes (1/2" apart symmetrically spread) in the stack of paper to later pass thru the needle.
I use cheap dental floss as my waxed thread, easy.
Later I cut the cover board out of a piece of thin cardboard, 1/8" larger than the paper dimensions and 1/2" in the middle for the thickness of the stack.
As I mention before this is not a course on Bookbinding, so I did three very primitive sewings thru the holes tighten the stack as much as I could with the cover on and that was all.
With black gaffer tape, (which I prefer over duct tape) I tape the "backbone" which is the thickness of the stack of paper and the covers, to hide the stitches and the threads, also as a reinforcement of the back and as a final stylish touch.
Step 3: Final Products
I have made a few of this guys and I'm very please with the results, although I always prefer a Moleskine one, but this a cool way to recycle and keep on sketching and writing on the cheap.
Fizik made it!