Cheese Fatayer or cheese turnovers are Arabic cheese filled pastries. These are filled with almost anything you want, but this cottage cheese and mint combination makes the Fatayer irresistible.You can use any other kind of cheese like mozzarella, ricotta or any other kind that you feel will fit your taste.
As this dough is mixed and kneaded, millions of air bubbles are trapped and dispersed throughout the dough. Meanwhile, the yeast in the dough metabolizes the starches and sugars in the flour, turning them into alcohol and carbon dioxide gas. This gas inflates the network of air bubbles, causing the bread to rise. During rising, the yeast divides and multiplies, producing more carbon dioxide. As long as there is ample air and food (carbohydrates) in the dough, the yeast will multiply until its activity is stopped by the oven’s heat.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 300g Cottage Cheese - crumbled
- Fresh coriander leaves- chopped
- Fresh mint leaves- chopped
- 1 Raw egg
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 2 1/2 cup flour.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon sugar.
- 1 -2 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup luke warm water.
Step 2: Cheese Filling
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
- Soak in cold water , then take it out and crumble.
Prepare the filling by combining all the ingredients together mixing well.
Step 3: Dough Making
- In your mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast mixing well.
- Add oil and mix, then add water, mix the dough then knead by hand for another 3-4 minutes until you have a nice soft dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let it rise for 2 hours.
Step 4: Assembling
Sprinkle the work surface with flour and knead the dough.
Cut the dough into small balls. Roll each dough ball into an oval shape.
Spread one tablespoon of filling in the center of each dough.
Fold one edge of the dough over diagonally and press it gently to seal it properly. Repeat the process with the other edge leaving an opening in the center to get the boat shape.
Leave it for 30 minutes to rise again.
Brush all the fatayer with melted butter before putting in the oven. Bake in the preheated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
Step 5: Ready to Eat
Enjoy these hot and fresh fatayers with the dip of your choice, more preferably a cheesy dip.
Runner Up in the