This is pizza and cheese filled bread bites in one. It is fun and easy to prepare. Wow the guests at your next pizza party with this unique creation!
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp canola oil
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
8 sticks mozzarella string cheese (I recommend the Crystal farms brand from Walmart. DO NOT use the Kraft brand.)
1 beaten egg
Your choice of pizza toppings
(Optional) Italian seasonings, garlic powder, grated parmesan cheese
Step 1: Prepare the Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar. Whisk lightly to combine.
- let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
- Add the salt and oil. Whisk lightly to combine.
- Add the flour and knead with a stand mixer (using the Dough hook on low speed) for 4-5 minutes or by hand for 10-15 minutes. The Dough is ready when it is smooth and elastic. It will be just slightly sticky.
- Form the Dough into a ball and place it in a large bowl coated with cooking spray. Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Remove the plastic wrap and punch down the dough to deflate it.
- Turn your dough out onto a 16 inch round pan.
- Roll, stretch or press the dough out evenly into a 16 inch circle.
Step 2: Form the Cheesy Bites
- Place 8 sticks of string cheese on the crust evenly spaced in a circle about 2" from the edge (see photo).
- Pull the edge of the dough up and over the string cheese sticks one at a time, and press the edge down into the dough to seal the cheese stick inside.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough between each cheese stick.
- Cut through the dough and cheese sticks dividing each cheese stick into thirds.
- Carefully turn each cheesy bite counterclockwise by 90°.
- Pinch the dough together at the bottom of each cheesy bite to prevent any cheese from leaking out during cooking.
Step 3: Add Sauce, Cheese and Toppings
Add your choice of sauce, cheese and toppings to the pizza.
Step 4: Apply the Egg Wash
- Brush each cheesy bite with the beaten egg.
- (Optional) Sprinkle with Italian herbs, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese.
Step 5: Bake
- Bake the pizza at 400° F for 17-20 minutes until the cheesy bites are golden brown.
- Remove pizza from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 5 minutes before cutting it.
Participated in the
Bread Challenge 2017