The ingredients needed for this original New Orleans dish are easy to acquire from your local grocery store. However, preparation of the items needed require cleaning because some of the ingredients used are fresh produce and seafood. The instructions provided will guide you on the preparation of the cheese shrimp and grits dish.
WARNING: Proper handling, cleaning, and thorough cooking of food is required. Certain foods may cause allergic reactions. Please make sure the consumer is not allergic to any of the ingredients used in this recipe. Consuming raw or uncooked foods are not recommended. Please ensure food is cooked thoroughly prior to consuming.
Step 1: Step 1: Prepare the Area for Cooking
Prior to starting, please make sure the surface areas being used along with cooking utensils are clean and free of debris and other foreign objects. This is important because introduction of foreign items could cause undesired results of the finished dish. Plus...you would not want anything going into the dish that is not part of the ingredients.
1. Clean the surface areas where you will be preparing the food to include cutting boards. If using chemicals such as surface or bleach cleaner, make sure you follow up with wiping the surfaces with fresh water to remove the chemical residue.
2. Thoroughly wash hands with warm soap and water.
3. Ensure the correct ingredients are available and prepared for preparation. This is important because not having the correct ingredients may cause this dish to not come out correct and delay preparation.
Step 2: Step 2: the Main Ingredients
- 24 ounces of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 cup of corn grits (regular)
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 pounds large or medium deveined shrimp
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (should equal 3 cloves)
- 4 tablespoons of fresh parsley (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons of fresh green onions (chopped)
- 3 ounces of Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces of fresh squeezed lemon juice
NOTICE: Make sure the fresh ingredients (parsley and green onions) are washed and cleaned in cool water and free of debris, foreign objects, and pesticides.
Step 3: Step 3: Identify Cooking Utinsils
- Chopping Knife
- Cutting Board
- Medium Sauce Pan
- Large Skillet
- Large Bowl
- Small portion cups
- Stirring Spoon
- Serving Plates
Step 4: Step 4: Prepare Ingredients for Cooking
1. Chop the fresh parsley and green onions on the cutting board until 4 tablespoons are met.
2. Clean shrimp using cold water and drain. (Make sure shrimp are free from any shells which may cause choking).
3. Place cleaned shrimp in a large bowl and cover with a paper towel and refrigerate. (This will be used at a later time).
4. Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small container.
5. Slice 2 large lemons and squeeze into a small container. (Make sure to remove all seeds).
6. Pour 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce into a small container. (Shake bottle before pouring).
7. Pour shredded sharp cheddar cheese into a medium bowl.
8. Slice 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter and place on a small plate.
Step 5: Step 5: Begin With the Grits
1. Pour the 24 ounces of low sodium chicken broth into the medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once the chicken broth is at a rolling boil, reduce the heat to medium and slowly pour the corn grits into the boiling chicken broth and whisk at the same time. This is important to ensure the grits will not form clumps in the chicken broth. (Cook the grits for up to 10 minutes on medium heat while stirring with the whisk occasionally to prevent clumping). Once the grits are completely cooked, proceed to the next step.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 4 tablespoons of butter into the cooked grits and stir vigorously until melted.
3. Pour 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese into the cooked grits and stir vigorously until melted.
4. Place the medium saucepan of cooked grits on low heat and cover. Stir occasionally to prevent solidifying.
(While the grits are resting, in the next steps, you will begin cooking the shrimp).
Step 6: Step 6: Now Cook the Shrimp
1. Place the large skillet onto the burner and place on medium heat.
2. Pour the 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the skillet and wait until heated.
3. Place the 2 pounds of large or medium shrimp into the large skillet and stir around to coat with olive oil.
4. Season the shrimp with cracked black pepper, salt and paprika and stir to coat and until the shrimp are fully cooked. (The shrimp MUST be thoroughly cooked to prevent any food borne illnesses. Raw or undercooked foods should not be consumed).
5. Remove the shrimp and place in a clean medium bowl to be added to the roux later.
Step 7: Step 7: Make the Roux
When making the roux for this dish, you must ensure the rest of the ingredients are added to ensure proper cooking. Make sure the skillet is on medium heat.
1. Pour 2 tablespoons of minced garlic into the large skillet and add 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook the minced garlic for 1 minute before adding the other ingredients.
2. Pour the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chopped fresh green onions and chopped fresh parsley into the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes before adding the shrimp back to the skillet.
3. Stir the lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chopped fresh green onions and chopped fresh parsley until mixed completely.
4. Add the shrimp and stir until completely mixed in.
5. Let the combination on the ingredients simmer for 10 minutes and allow to stand for 5 minutes prior to pouring over the cheese grits. (Turn off the burner to the stove).
Step 8: Step 8: Add the Shrimp and Roux Over the Grits
By the spoonful, add the shrimp over the cheese grits and enjoy.