Here is the recipe for chewy coconut cookies.
These cookies are the perfect treat for the coconut lover. They have coconut and coconut milk in the dough, and then rolled in coconut. These super chewy cookies are buttery and fun to make.
You will need the following ingredients:
-2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-5 Tablespoons coconut milk (not light)
-2 1/2 cups flour
-1 1/2teaspoons baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-2 eggs, lightly stirred
-2 cups flaked sweetened coconut to roll the cookies in
Step 1: Starting the Dough
For this step you will need the butter, sugar, coconut milk, eggs, and vanilla.
1. Combine the 2 sticks of unsalted butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and the 5 tablespoons of coconut milk in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix them together on low for a minute and then increase the speed of the mixer to medium for another three minutes until the butter and sugar mixture is light and fluffy.
2. Add the 2 eggs slowly, allowing them to incorporate as you go.
3. Stop the mixer and thoroughly scrape the bowl of the mixer. Add the 1 teaspoon of vanilla and beat, again on medium, to combine.
Step 2: Dry Ingredients for the Dough
1. Combine the 2 1/2cups of flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda, and the 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl. Stir it with a whisk to ensure that all ingredients are well blended.
2. Add the dry ingredients to the batter in three additions.
Step 3: Adding the Coconut
1. Add the coconut and mix until well blended. You can leave it as is from the package or chop it to have a finer coconut.
Step 4: Allow Dough to Set
Place the mixing bowl with the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Step 5: Prepping for Baking
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line baking or cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper.
Step 6: Making the Cookie
1. Using a spoon, scooper, or your hand make balls about 1- 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
2. Roll each ball in the coconut and pat the coconut into the ball a little making sure to cover completely.
Step 7: Bake Cookies
Once you have finished all the cookies and have them on the baking or cookie sheet(s). Place in your 350 degree F oven and bake for 17 minutes.
Make sure to check on them toward the end as not to burn the coconut.
Step 8: Finishing Up
Once the cookies have baked, let them cool for a few minutes on the pan and the transfer to rack for further cooling.
When they have cooled, plate and enjoy.