Chicken Coop made out of just wood, chicken wire & a metal sheet. New & unique design. Only 8 steps and than its finished! Getting the Materials before you start building
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Step 1: Gathering Materials & Painting the Frame
To start off our project we made a materials list of everything we would need to start building. It includes the frame wood, the planks, screws, chicken wire, and white latex-weathering paint. While we waited for the planks and the rest of our materials to arrive, we painted the frame of the coop white.
Step 2: Step 2: Putting Together the Frame
By the time we were able to start putting the frame together, we noticed our shortage of time. We started dividing the work up and even had some nice friends help us out! We screwed in the 2.5 x 2.5 x 36in pieces of wood to the 0.5 x 2.5 x 55in pieces to create a basic square like shaped box.
Step 3: Step 3: Cutting the Wood Planks
After the frame was completed, we measured the wooden planks that had finally arrived by how much needed to be cut. We cut 10 planks of 3ft x 7in x 1/2in and 5 planks 57in x 7in x 1/2in.
Step 4: Step 4: Putting in the Side Planks
After the wood was cut, we drilled in the shorter length planks on the corresponding sides of the fame. The short planks (3ft x 7in x 1/2in) were drilled in horizontally starting at the bottom and than working our way up. We drilled in 4 planks on both sides and than stopped to put in the windows.
Step 5: Step 5: Putting in the Windows
So after drilling in 3ft of the 3ft x 7in x 1/2in planks horizontally onto the frame. We drilled in 3 planks on both sides to the corresponding frame but stopped to drill in the winder. Before when we had painted the wood, we had already built 3 windows each with a measurement of 13in x 18.5 in. We then drilled 2 more planks above, leaving a gap of for the window.The windows stood in between the the planks but of course needed support from the back to stay put. The measurement of the small two long pieces of wood that supported the window were forgotten. But they supported the window from behind and were drilled in. We covered the side gaps on either side of both windows with shorter pieces of extra plank wood.
Step 6: Step 6: the Doors
While we waited for more planks to arrive for the back side of the chicken coop, I worked on the doors. Fortunately we didn't have to build the frame of the two doors because it was found the put together. A plank of wood (3ft x 7in x 1/2 in) was drilled on either side of the front of the coop vertically. Another plank was also added in the middle to help stop the door.
Before drilling in the doors, 2 hinges were drilled in to the sides of the 2 doors evenly. Then the other side of the hinges was drilled onto one of the vertically planks. The doors were attached so both open at the middle. The doors measurements are 18in x 38 in x 1/2 in.
After the rest of the wood planks arrived, we repeated our "side plank step" to the back side which was empty. The process was exactly the same but with the wood planks (57in x 7in x 1/2in)
Step 7: Step 7: Prepping the Roof (Rood Supports)
Before putting in the roof of the chicken coop we need to add some supports so that the roof will be slightly tilted to the side. It needs to be tilted incase of rain water so it can slide of to the side. We cut 2 pieces of wood (3.5 in x 16 in x 1 in) and drilled it on the roof of the frame and on the 1 inch side. We also drilled two smaller pieces of wood on the other side of the roof to help out.
Step 8: Step 8: Attaching the Roof
With a the sides filled in with wood, we found a large metal sheet of aluminum (71in x 3ft) and laid in on the roof supports so it was slightly tiled. Since normal screws could not be used to screw in the roof so we used a special kind of washers to drill in the roof.
Step 9: Step 9: Finishing Touches
At this time the chicken coop is practically all finished up and all there was left to do was staple on chicken wire to cover up the openings of the windows. We cut pieces of chicken wire that sort of matched the with the measurements of the doors.
We didn't get enough time but if we did we would have definitely retouched on the pieces of wood.
By now the whole this should be practically.built.