Intro: Chicken Doner Kebab at Home!
This is a great recipe that you can do a lot of prep before your guests arrive, and when it is set-up to cook it's pretty much hands-free until time to serve (so you can enjoy a few drinks).
Not only is this a fun recipe it's also easy to make, cheap and pretty healthy if you don't overdue the condiments.
Check out the step-by-step guide or view our videorecipe (next page)!
Step 1: VIDEO RECIPE
Check the full Video recipe out here!.
Click on the next page for the written step-by-step guide.
Step 2: Ingredients:
- 6-8 Chicken Thighs
- 6 Cloves of Garlic
- 200g Natural Yoghurt
- Olive Oil & Sea Salt
- Zest and Juice of Half a Lemon
- 2 Tsp of dried oregano
- 1 Tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 Tsp of sweet paprika
- 1/2 Tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp of coarse black pepper
Choice of Salad (we used iceberg lettuce, sliced tomato and red onion) with Pitta Bread to serve
Step 3: Step 1: Marinade
- Peel Garlic and place in Pestle & Mortar
- Add Two pinches of sea salt and grind to a thick paste
- Add Generous glug of olive oil and continue to stir until mixed in.
- Then add Spice mix and stir in until combined.
- Transfer to a larger bowl and stir in the natural yoghurt along with lemon zest/juice
- Stir until mixture is fully combined
- Take Chicken out of 'fridge and cover with the spicy yoghurt mix
- Cover with film, place in refrigerator and leave for minimum 2 hours, ideally over night.
Step 4: Step 2: Adding Chicken to Rotisserie
- Take your rotisserie skewer and slide in place one of the Meat clamps.
- Take you first piece of marinaded chicken thigh and slide it down onto the meat clamp
- Repeat this for each piece of chicken until you have a stack (if held vertically) of chicken thighs
- Make sure the chicken is on tightly and the weight is evenly distributed so it rotates properly when cooking
- Set up your BBQ (Gas or charcoal) to cook and take the rotisserie skewer outside to cook (you can cook inside under the grill, but you have to turn the meat periodically yourself.
Step 5: Step 3: Cooking
With the coals lit / gas burners on, attach your rotisserie and switch on. The chicken will immediately start to cook. You will need internal temps of 75C / 165F for the chicken to be cooked (a handheld thermometer will be perfect to check for this).
Once achieved, stop the rotation and taking a sharp knife, slice off some chicken into a dish placed below. You can do this periodically as it is cooking to make kebabs as you go, or once you're happy the chicken is thoroughly cooked, take it off the grill (leaving to cool slightly), then slide off the chicken into a dish and slice it up nice and thin.
Step 6: Step 4: Serving
Using the same grill heat, warm up some pittas until they expand and slice them open at one of the longer ends so they open like an envelope.
Depending on your preference, add the chicken or salad first then top up with the other filling until the kebab is nice and full.
Top with hot sauce, mint yoghurt or whatever you like best.
Serve and Enjoy!
Step 7: Watch Again!
Unsure of any of the steps or just want to see the recipe cooked before you, check out the video link here:
If you like what you see please Subscribe to my FOOD-D Youtube channel:
Click the Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqgczHKfzsZzyQP67EqFUGQ