Introduction: Chicken Kosha/Bengali Style Spicy Chicken Curry
PLEASE do VOTE If you like the recipe (Voting button is on top right corner).
‘Chicken Kosha’ is an age old Bengali way of cooking Chicken.
It’s a Spicy Chicken Curry.The word ‘Kosha’ (a Bengali word) means dryish or a gravy which is quite dry in consistency. It’s a popular dish every Bengali family cooks it in their own way, so this recipe may vary little bit from home to home.
I’m sharing my version here which uses just basic ingredients which you can find it usually at your home in nearby grocery store.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Chicken- 600 g (medium sized pieces)
- Ginger Garlic paste- 2 tsp paste
- Garlic cloves- 3-4 (peel and keep the cloves whole)
- Onion- 2 medium sized (thinly sliced)
- Tomato- 1 (roughly chopped)
- Bay leaf- 2
- Whole dry red chilli - 4
- Black peppercorn powder- 1 tsp
- Salt - As per your taste Sugar- 1/2 tsp
- 4 tbsp Mustard oil + 4-6 tbsp Mustard oil
- Few slit green chillies- 2-3
- Red chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1 tbsp
- Green cardamoms- 3-4 (roughly crushed)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (around 1 tbsp)
Step 2: Cooking
For detailed and easy instructions, please see the below video (With subtitles).
Wash chicken pieces,and remove the excess water from chicken.
Heat 4 tbsp oil in a deep frying pan/kadai.
Add half amount of thinly sliced onions with a pinch of salt (adding a pinch of salt speeds up the browning process).
Using a spatula, fry the onions continuously on medium flame.
Add the whole garlic cloves in between. Mix and keep frying until all the onion slices have reached a dark, rich brown color.
Remove from the pan and keep aside to cool. In a large bowl marinate the chicken pieces with fried onion-garlic, kashmiri mirch powder, lemon juice and garam masala powder. Keep aside for minimum 1 hour.
Now heat 8-9 tbsp oil in the same deep frying pan.
- Fry the potatoes, let them turn golden brown, remove and keep aside. In the remaining oil add bay leaf, dry red chilli and green cardamoms. Stir for few seconds.
- Add rest of the sliced onions, fry until light brown in color.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, cumin powder, turmeric powder and chopped tomatoes.
- Mix well and mash the tomatoes with the help of the spatula.
- Fry on medium flame until fragrant (1-2 minutes maximum).
- Add marinated chicken pieces and green chillies. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame.
- Uncover and keep stirring in between.
- When the chicken is half cooked add salt, black peppercorn powder, potatoes and sugar. Mix, cover and cook until the chicken is fully done. Your ‘Chicken Kosha’ is done.
- Serve hot with roti, luchi, paratha, puri, pulao or fried rice whatever you like.
- This Chicken Curry goes well with almost every Indian style rice dishes.
Again, for detailed and easy instructions, please do see the below video (With English subtitles).