Intro: Chicken Pizza Rollups
Today we will be making Chicken Pizza Rollups. This is a carb free way to eat a pizza and chicken dish at the same time. It does not matter if you are young or old, if you like chicken and pizza, you will like this dish. This could even be a fun meal to have children help make, although the frying and oven work should be done by adults. This meal is very easy to make and only the basic experience with a oven and stove top are necessary. Depending on your speed and skill level, this meal could take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half to make. Don’t worry; once you get to eat this wonderful treat the time spent will be well worth it.
Step 1: Equipment and Ingredients
•Two 7 oz. bags of pepperoni
•4 boneless chicken breasts
•8 oz. block of mozzarella (or preferred)
•2 14 oz. cans of pizza sauce
• Garlic powder
Step 2: Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Chop up one package of pepperoni
3. Cut twelve slices of mozzarella cheese
Tip: If you want it cheesier you can add cheese in the center of the rollup.
Step 3: Preparing the Chicken
1. Clean the chicken breasts
2. Pound the chicken flat
Tip: The chicken should be pounded to at least ¼ inch for best results. Use the flat side of the meat mallet, not the spikey side.
Caution: If you do not know how to properly pound flat chicken here is a link to show you how, Chicken.
3. Season the chicken with the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper
Tip: Recommended amount is a pinch of garlic powder and a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, but you may season it as much as you like.
Step 4: Combining the Ingredients
1. Put as much pepperoni on each chicken breast as you would like.
Tip: I really like pepperoni; so I put a nice overlapping layer on each breast.
2. Place a slice of cheese over the pepperoni at each end of the breast.
Tip: To keep the cheese from melting out the end after you rollup, place the second slice closer toward the middle of the chicken
3. Roll up the chicken, starting and ending where you placed pieces of cheese.
4. Use a tooth pick to hold it in place.
Step 5: Cooking
1. Fry the chopped pepperoni in the frying pan until most of the oil has cooked out into the pan.
Tip: You only need enough to cover the pan; so it should look something like the picture below when there is enough.
2. Remove the pepperoni from the pan and set aside in the mixing bowl.
3. Place the chicken rollups in your pepperoni grease.
4. Fry the bottom of each until slightly browned.
Tip: Should take about 5-10 minutes on each side.
5. Use the tongs to lift each rollup.
6. Push the toothpicks through to the other side.
7. Brown the opposite side of the rollups.
8. Remove them from the skillet.
9. Place them in the baking dish.
Step 6: Making the Sauce
1. Get mixing bowl with cooked pepperoni inside.
2. Pour pizza sauce over pepperoni
3. Mix components evenly.
Step 7: Baking
1. Pour pepperoni and pizza sauce mixture over chicken.
2. Cook for 20 minutes.
3. Check on the rollups after 20 minutes.
Warning: Baking dish will be extremely hot.
4. Add a slice of cheese over each rollup.
5. Bake till cheese is melted completely.
Warning: Before consuming remember to remove the toothpicks.
Warning: Rollups will be very hot, especially the cheesey goodness on the interior.
Tip: Top with extra sauce and peperoni from the baking dish, and enjoy with a slice of texas toast, that is if you're missing your carbs.
Congratulations, you have just completed your Chicken Pizza Rollups. When you slice into your first rollup you should have a series of wonderful layers. First the cheese on top, second the sauce and pepperoni, and third the wonderfully cooked chicken with a swirl of pepperoni and cheese in the middle. Although this recipe calls for specific ingredients, now that you are a master at making them, you could try different kinds of meat, cheese, and seasoning in and on your next rollups.