Introduction: Chickpea Tacos With Lamb Kebab
In this instructable I will show you how to make delicious chickpea tacos with lamb kebak skewers and a tahini roasted tomato salsa sauce.
I make this recipe with chickpea tacos, because chickpeas have a natural nutty flavor that combines very well with the lamb kebab skewers. Chicpea tacos are easy to make by following my previous instructable. But you can also use store-bought corn taco shells that also tastes great in combination with lamb kebab.
To make the lamb kebab skewers, you start out with about 200 g of minced lamb meat. If you are not a fan of lamb you can substitute with minced beef or chicken. Put the meat into a bowl. Then chop an onion and two cloves really ultra fine and add these to the minced meat. Then take ½ tsp of chili powder and 1 tsp of cumin powder and add these to the meat as well. Now it is time to combine all the ingredients. You can add some salt and fresh black pepper to taste. Make sure the thoroughly knead all the ingredient before you start making the lamb kebabs. If you do not knead the ingredients enough the lam kebabs will fall of the skewer. Divide into six equal portions and shape into a flat sausage shape. Then put it on a skewer. Knead them into shape on the skewer.
If you roast the lamb kebabs on a barbecue put them in some water first to prevent them from burning. Now (pan) grill the kebabs. If you use a pan take some olive oil and brush your pan. Let the pan get nice and hot before you add the kebabs in the pan. Leave the kebabs and let it sear before you start turning and moving the skewers around. Grill for about 10 minutes until all of the kebabs have a brown color.
For the salsa sauce you take two tablespoons of tahini then add ½ tablespoon. of fresh lemon and stir. Now take two tbsp or roasted spicy tomato salsa and stir this into the sauce. To make it more liquid add some hot water and stir. Now you can plate your taco. Start with a chickpea tortilla then add a lamb kebab skewer. Put some tahini sauce and some additional roasted spicy tomato salsa on top of the lamb kebab. For decoration purposes add some finely chopped spring onion. Serve with rice.
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
Step 1: Watch the One Minute Video
Want to see how to make the chickpea tacos with lamb kebab skewers? Watch the 1-minute food inspiration video.
Step 2: What Do You Need to Make This Recipe
To make the tacos and the lamb kebab skewers you need the following ingredients:
- 6 small (chickpea) soft tortillas or hard-shell tacos
- 200 g of minced lamb
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 spring onion for decorating purposed
For the sauce you need:
- 2 tablespoons of tahini
- ½ tablespoon of lemon
- 2 tablespoons of roasted spicy tomato salsa (can be substitute with hot sauce)
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of hot water
Step 3: Instructions
- Make chickpea tacos by following my previous instructable or buy some off the shelf corn tacos.
- Put the minced meat in a bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Then add the chili powder and cumin powder.
- Knead the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts.
- Shape them into flat sausages and put on a skewer.
- Heat a skill or grill pan (or barbecue) and brush with olive oil. Grill the skewers in about 10 minutes.
- Make the sauce with 2 tablespoons of tahini, 1 tablespoon of lemon, 2 tablespoons of roasted spicy tomato salsa. Stir to combine and add some hot water to make it more liquid.
- Warm the taco's in an oven at 300℉/150℃
- Plate the taco by adding a lamb kebab skewer on a taco then add some tahini salsa sauce and some additional salsa. Decorate with spring onion.
- Serve with some basmati rice
Step 4: Notes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you tried out this recipe or have some suggestions then let me know via the comments.
More information and a printable recipe can be found on The Tortilla Channel.