The Unit of adornment inspired me to look at a current world problem which in my eyes could be solved by the creation of a object which teen and adults can wear to bring a message to help stop this problem. My problem was Child labour. Child labour is a very interesting and serious topic due to the children being beaten and being bad low wages while the big cooperations win billions of dollars selling us the product for 10 times the price. My adornment was created by the usage of sketching and modeling process which allowed me to improve my designs and my product while I proceeded through the process.
I used a range of materials which are
- Wood cube(60x60x20)
- 3 Axis cutter
- 3D modeling program (123 Design)
- Sand paper
- Pewter smelter
Step 1: Start the Sketches
The first step of the creation of the adornment is to create a range of sketch ideas which you then evaluate.
- This process is most useful to bring out all your ideas on paper.
- Let your mind flow free because if you set your mind free you will get ideas which you couldn't have thought of if you were limiting yourself.
Time spend: One Hour
Step 2: During the Sketches
- evaluate your sketches
- start deciding your top sketches and annotate them which should include:
- The usage
- The costumer
- The purpose
- Materials used to create it
- create a second range of designs that you chose and improve it and make it more detailed
Time Spend:One Hour and Half
Step 3: The End of the Sketches
- Start comparing it to your design specification which are the guidelines for your product.
- Then evaluate them again for any further improvements
- Start thinking how you can further develop it with the usage computer designing
Spend a Hour
Step 4: Download the Designing Programm
In this stage you will start your designing with the downloading of a modeling programs.
Those are some recommendations
- 123 Design(normal)
- Google Sketchup(easy)
- mesh mixer(hard)
- 3D max(hard)
The modeling program selection is your selection but for this product I used a mixture of those selections which were 123Design and mesh mixer.
- 123 Design(http://www.123dapp.com/design)
- Google Sketchup(http://www.sketchup.com/download)
- mesh mixer(http://www.meshmixer.com/download.html)
- 3DMax(http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/3d... )
Spend needed time
Step 5: Get Familiar With the Programm
The next step is to look at tutorials which explain the basics of the chosen program and allows you to get familiar with the basics.
- After watching the tutorials start to create multiple practice models and the most important thing is that you should have as many trials as possible to improve the quality.
Step 6: Modeling
The modeling is the next step which allows you to make a 3D model of your sketch which allows you to adjust it and resize it and see you object and see how a sketch could look so realistic on the computer screen. The modeling is also a great step to the final creation of the object because due to technologies advances through the last years it is possible for you now to print out your model to reality with just a touch of a button with the usage of the 3D printer. The modeling phase also allows to easily change your model and to improve it.
- Open the modeling program (mesh mixer)
- Upload a model of a hand(mesh mixer database)
Time Spend:30 minutes
Step 7: Modeling Phase 2
- In this stage your start the visual changes in the model
- use the edit tool to change the texture of the hand
- add scars to the hand to make it symbolizing
- import it to 123 Design to further adjust it
Time spend: two hours
Step 8: Modeling Phase 3
- Create a 60X60X20 mm cube
- Input the hand in cube for a depth of 6mm
- Select the subtract tool which removes the selected shape from the target shape
- subtract the hand from the cube
- You have just created your mold
- Start your creation phase
Step 9: Mold Creation Software
Tech soft visual path is a program which allows you to use the 3 axis router to cut the mold
These are the steps: from left to right top
Step 10: Creation Phase 1
The creation phase is the final stage and this stage where you finally create your product and you then can tinker around with the size of the product and then adjust and test your product and then further improving to meet your specification and create a product which your proud about.
- use the wood piece which was made by using a 3 Axis router
Step 11: Create Phase 2
- take the mold created in my modeling stage
- make the mold and cleaned it
- fill it with pewter with the usage of the pewter smelter
- cool the pewter down
- remove the pewter from mold after it cools down
- use a electric saw to remove the extra pieces of the pewter
- use sand paper to smoothen out the backhand and the sides
- Input the hand back in the mold
- use the Axis router again to engrave it the back hand
- Engrave "Stop Child Labour"
Step 12: You Have Completed the Product
The final product should look like this I engraved the words child labour and the hand being stop and that is what your product should look like.