Introduction: Chocolate Cake (made From Scratch)
Teachers! Did you use this instructable in your classroom?
Add a Teacher Note to share how you incorporated it into your lesson.
1. Gather Ingredients: 2 cups white sugar, 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 cup boiling water.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
5. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Mix for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
6. Stir in the boiling water by hand (make sure you mix it in well).
7. Pour evenly into the greased pans.
8. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
10. Layer first cake with icing.
11. Stack second cake on top of the first cake.
12. Put icing on the top and sides of the double layer cake.