Every year I like to challenge myself to create a fun and creepy treat for Halloween! This year I decided to try my hand at caramel sculpting, and it led me to creating these creepy crawly little guys. They can be served on a bed of brown sugar sand, or atop any dessert! They were a huge hit, so let's get started!
Step 1: You Will Need
One of the best parts of this treat is that there is NO BAKING, and only 2 ingredients!
- Riesen Chocolate Caramels
- Werthers Original Caramels
- Glass microwave safe plate
- Small sculpting tool or knife
Step 2: Form the Bodies
- Put 2 Werthers Original Caramels on a microwave safe plate
- Microwave on high for 30 second intervals until soft and malleable (usually around 1 minute)
- Form the body by creating a C shape with indents along the back
- Bring the end to a sharp point (this will act as the stinger)
- Use a shaping tool or butter knife to create indents
- Make sure the base stands on it's own
- Repeat process for as many scorpions as you want
Once the caramel is soft, you must work quickly, it will harden within 30 seconds. Once you get the hang of it, it will become easy, but it can be challenging at first. Patience is a big part of this treat.
Step 3: Form the Legs
Each Scorpion has 8 legs, so if you are making 6, you need 48 legs and so on. Make all the legs first, including a couple extra, in case some break.
- Each Werthers makes 2 legs
- Heat your caramels again, 1 at a time, using the 30 second intervals
- Form each leg with a little bend in the middle
- Add indents for realism
- Set aside until all of them are finished
Step 4: Attach Legs
- Heat up 1 Werthers for attaching every 4 legs
- You'll need to work quickly since the caramel cools so fast
- Dip each leg in the hot caramel, and attach them gently to the body
- Keep the legs on the sides, leaving room in the front for the next step
Step 5: Prepare Riesens
- Unwrap a small bag of Riesen Chocolate Caramels
- Rinse them under water until all the chocolate is removed
- You could also use tootsie rolls, but I think Riesen tastes and looks better
- Set aside to dry for at least an hour
Step 6: Make Riesen Portion of Bodies
Using about three of the now dry Riesen caramels start to form the front section of the body
- Form a wide base and two arms
- shape the ends of each arm like a claw
- Add lines to base with a shaping tool
- Continue shaping until you are happy with it
- Lay the body over the legs and tail piece, be very careful
- The Riesen will adhere naturally because of the sugars, so don't wet, heat or use force
Step 7: Be the Hit of Your Halloween Function!
These little guys were such a big hit! You can serve them any way you please! I served them both on a bed of brown sugar sand, as well as atop a caramel pecan pie! They would be so fun on cupcakes too. And they are seriously delish! thanks for reading!
Please vote for me in the Halloween Challenge!